Honored Contributor

I'm looking at 'snowball' cookie recipes - one will be the 3rd cookie recipe I will be making on Sunday 

Candy Cane Snowballs

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD: about 5 dozen. 57FE9375-A958-4806-B38F-C927BE98ABA6.jpeg

Ingredients

• 2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 8 ounces white candy coating, melted
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies

Directions

• 1. Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to shape, 3-4 hours.
  • 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  • 3. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
  • 4. Dip tops of cookies into candy coating, allowing excess to drip off; dip into crushed candies. Let stand until set.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

When you go to the Taste of Home website to read the original recipe source, there are some interesting and useful reviews on how to improve the taste. For example one reviewer wrote:

The actual cookie is bland, however, the flavor with the white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy on top is good, but they are very crunchy. I made 1/2 of them with the candy canes on top and then I switched to the Andes Peppermint baking chips- the white chocolate ones. I had to sprinkle them on top and it was messy, but they are much better that way. If I decide to make these again, I might just melt the Andes baking chips and dip them in that.

Another reviewer suggested using peppermint extract instead of vanilla to give the cookies a bit more flavor. When I make candy cane topped cookies, I start w/ a good short bread cookie, because that's what my family likes, then top w/ a white chocolate icing and finely crushed candy canes. Almost like pepperment "dust". 

The Taste of Home website has lots of very interesting recipes. For cookies, appetizers, entrees, etc.

candy cane cookies.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Hi Recipe FRIENDS (Trolls excluded 😉)

If you had to pick one Snowball - which would you want? Of course, the basic nut or rum is always popular. 

Thank you 😊 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Well, since you asked,  I like to make rum balls, amaretto balls and bourbon balls. For the rum and the bourbon I start w/ a chocolate base. For the amaretto I start w/ the wedding cookie dough base. 

Rum and bourbon are covered in chocolate of some sort ... sometimes I roll in crushed nuts or chocolate sprinkles. For the amaretto I roll in confection sugar. 

These alcohol based little treats are usually a big hit at adult gatherings....especially if really great coffee is also served.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Re: Candy Cane Snowballs

[ Edited ]

It was so nice of you to post these recipes!

I cannot lie, I don't bake but if I did, I would try the chocolate ones. They look delicious.

Happy holidays and all the best to you.

Honored Contributor

@DSD2 wrote:

It was so nice of you to post these recipes!

I cannot lie, I don't bake but if I did, I would try the chocolate ones. They look delicious.

Happy holidays and all the best to you.

@DSD2 - thank you! I think I will be making the chocolate. I'm trying to have a variety of dessert flavors. The Key Lime Pie seems to be the Recipe forum fav based on the 'hearts'

Happy Holidays to you and yours - may it be joyful, healthy & filled with Love 🎄

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my.....I need to make these as well! The rolled cookie balls are my most favorite to make! ❤️

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Oh my.....I need to make these as well! The rolled cookie balls are my most favorite to make! ❤️

@Effie54 - yes, and an easy process. I think a platter with several different balls would be cool. No fuss, not requiring dishes and utensils.  I might do that for NYE

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Effie54 - yes, and an easy process. I think a platter with several different balls would be cool. No fuss, not requiring dishes and utensils.  I might do that for NYE

I love that idea! I'm supposed to bring desert for Christmas Eve, and that's what it shall be. Many thanks!