Respected Contributor

Re: Can't believe I'm asking this. Home made bread.

No better time than now to try your hand at making bread.  Just remember that any recipe your grandmother used, unless she had professional training, used regular flour.  You don't absolutely have to have bread flour to make a basic loaf of bread.  and as someone else mentioned there's always quickbreads, Sweet or Savory.

Super Contributor

Martha Stewart has a wonderful no knead bread recipe.  I have to look it up every time I use it, but it is so good.  I use all purpose flour and I've used bread flour.  Both are good..

Frequent Contributor

@qualitygal  Blue Jean Chef has an excellent recipe for NO KNEAD BREAD on line. I'm certainly no expert in this area and it is an easy recipe and fun to do if you have the proper ingredients and utensils. She gives excellent directions. You might want to check it out. We went shopping today and no flour!

IMG_0133.jpg

Respected Contributor

Another that found no flour or yeast at 2 stores.  So much for making bread in my breadmaker.

May have to break down and order some mixes from Prepared Pantry...

Denise
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygalI like to use my Kitchenaid to knead the bread, but I have arthritis and use to do it by hand but my mixer does a great job.  The King Arthur Flour site does have some good recipes. 

Honored Contributor

If you have a sturdy food processor there's a very good cookbook called "The Best Bread Ever" by Charles Van Over, that won the James Beard Cookbook Award for best baking cookbook and also a Julia Child cookbook award. I use his basic recipe quite often (there's a loaf defrosting on my kitchen table right now) and it's quite good. He's a little obsessive about temperatures, but I tend to just ignore them and the bread comes out great. You can make the bread in a mixer, food processor, or by hand, but it's a very good basic recipe. You can find the recipe online so you don't even have to buy the book.

He's what I refer to as one of the "lunatic fringe" bakers who obsess about every ingredient in bread to an unhealthy degree. There are quite a few of them out there who make baking bread sound like Mission Impossible where you must have a certain type of sea salt, certain types of flour, temperatures must be accurate to within a degree, etc..  Un, no. It's not really all that hard. Just combine, flour, yeast, salt, and water in the right proportions and you'll get good bread. 

It's a very good basic bread recipe, that's relatively fast and easy (if you ignore his obsessiveness) and will make you two nice-sized torpedo-shaped loaves of bread. I made the recipe just last week and ate a loaf last Saturday and then wrapped and froze the other loaf for today. Once it's thawed out I'll slice it, butter the slices, toss them under my broiler until nicely toasted, and that'll be my lunch. It's a very good way to eat bread by the way. If you've never done that, give it a try. The fresh loaf I tend to just butter and eat, but the frozen ones I tend to slice down, butter, then broil until toasty. Both ways are very tasty.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I don't do it by hand. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook. I do not bake in a breadmaker. I had one many years ago and tried it once and didn't like the texture so I donated it. 

Valued Contributor

Go to "Jenny can cook"    bread recipe.on youtube. It can also be used to make rolls. cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to King Arthur website and look up artisan breads....many recipes do not require kneading....  you can find artisan bread recipes all over the internet  and/or YouTube that would work well without a bread machine.  I make my own bread all the time for health reasons...I have plenty bread-making supplies and 2 bread machines (Breadman and Zo).  I hear flour and yeast are having a run at the grocer!  I use King Arthur for most of my bread supplies, flours, vital wheat gluten, numerous grains, etc.  Great quality products and it is 100% employee-owned company.

Since sourdough bread is a good for gut health, some may want to try making sourdough bread....King Arthur can guide you on making sourdough starter.  Many other sites on internet and/or YouTube regarding making sourdough starters and breads.  

Regular Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdfub88-4D0Jc_V4T_yNrA

I have been making recipes for no-knead bread that I found on YouTube.  The recipes use very little yeast and few ingredients and need a long proofing time- which we all seem to have now since we can't go out and about at the moment.  He also has a website.  It is artisanbreadbystev and I have posted the YouTube link so you can view the videos of all the fabulous recipes he has posted.  Hopefully it will not be deleted.