Honored Contributor

Can't believe I'm asking this. Home made bread.

Anyone still do it by hand?  Our bread machine is gone.  Don't want another one, so down the road, here a piece, we may (I) may be doing it.  I just need a good one, recipe that is.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't believe I'm asking this. Home made bread.

@qualitygal Go to the King Arthur Flour website

Valued Contributor

I do have my machine that I received as a wedding gift 22 yrs ago. But the thing I can not find is flour or for that matter sugar. I went out real quick during my husband's lunch hour (as he is working from home) and we went to three stores and no one had flour or sugar but they did have bread.

Respected Contributor

I went to two stores this a.m. and couldn't find any yeast or powdered milk.  Other people said they had been searching for the same.  I probably will have to make sourdough starter.

Honored Contributor

When my children were little I made homemade "table" bread from scratch/by hand.  Mind you, I have OCD regarding getting my hands dirty.  Kneading dough is messy!  I did love the way my house smelled as the bread was baking. 

I don't even remember using a recipe.  I think my MIL (who cooked from scratch everything) must have scribbled the steps down on some scrap paper. Smiley LOL  My hubby must have been impressed, caused I always made 2 loaves.  One for him, & the other for me & the children. Smiley LOL

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I picked up yeast this morning at Safeway.  Was thinking pizza crust but bread works!  They did have a few random loaves of bread and random packages of meat.  No cheese.  Kneading dough is not something I have done for awhile.  Somewhere I have a recipe for bread with no kneading (I think) but it calls for Bread flour if I recall correctly.  Wonder where I have that recipe...  

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, sure do. Never owned a bread machine. Days like today I praise my Gram for teaching me skills that stayed with me. 😙

That said, if you struggle with arthritis, etc search YT for no knead breads. There are several you can make in a dutch oven if you don't have loaf pans. The process creates steam in the dutch oven. Removing the dutch oven lid the last few minutes of baking will produce a crispy crust with a soft bread.

No dutch oven? Use a round, heavy casserole with lid like Corning Ware 2-3qt.

Don't forget you can make banana bread or pumpkin bread for a breakfast treat if you're afraid of the yeast and kneading.

Valued Contributor

There is a recipe on loveandlemons.com for no -knead bread.  If you read carefully it says you can make with all purpose flour but they prefer bread flour.  I have not tried this recipe.

Honored Contributor

I have flour and sugar, just seems to be a good idea to have it on hand, and we do.  He picked up yeast and now we're ordering a machine.  My mom used ours when she was alive to help with her gluten free bread, till it went down.  We won't get it fast, but that's the norm now and it's ok.  He has enough of the other till then.  Gee, between the  Duncan Doughnut coffee and a bread machine, this will smell really great in here.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Yep, sure do. Never owned a bread machine. Days like today I praise my Gram for teaching me skills that stayed with me. 😙

That said, if you struggle with arthritis, etc search YT for no knead breads. There are several you can make in a dutch oven if you don't have loaf pans. The process creates steam in the dutch oven. Removing the dutch oven lid the last few minutes of baking will produce a crispy crust with a soft bread.

No dutch oven? Use a round, heavy casserole with lid like Corning Ware 2-3qt.

Don't forget you can make banana bread or pumpkin bread for a breakfast treat if you're afraid of the yeast and kneading.

Yeah, my hands can't take the kneading anymore. I have run across some of the other breads, may have to try those.

Thank you one and all for this help.