Respected Contributor

Reading about avocado sandwiches on the Avocado thread reminded me of this recipe that I've been saving for a hot Summer day.  The way our Spring has gone, tho', it may be August before we get around to it.

Disclaimer:  I have not tried this recipe.  If anyone can either vouch for it or warn me away, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

California Sandwich To Go

EzraPoundCake.com

Makes 2 large sandwiches or 4 small wraps

Chive Spread:
1/4 cup Greek yogurt or mayonnaise (or 2 tablespoons of each)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
Salt and pepper, to taste

Avocado Salad:
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
1 tomato, cored and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (optional)
Squeeze of lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices bread (preferably whole grain) or 4 small tortillas (flour or multigrain)
1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
2 to 4 slices pepper jack cheese

To Make the Chive Spread: In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

To Make the Avocado Salad: In a medium bowl, gently toss together the avocado, tomato, cucumber, lime juice and basil or cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

To Assemble: Spread the chive-yogurt mixture on all four bread slices. Divide the sprouts between two slices of bread, and top with avocado salad and cheese. Cover with the remaining slices of bread. (If using tortillas, spread the chive-yogurt mixture on the tortillas, and top with cheese, avocado salad and sprouts. Roll, and eat.)

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Yum!  The alfalfa sprouts make that sandwich!

Honored Contributor

Hi @IamMrsG

This sounds delicious!  I fix a similar sandwich for myself at least twice a week for lunch, but I never thought of adding a bit of lime!  Sounds perfect, thank you for sharing this recipe.

Respected Contributor

What a great summer meal! The humidity and temps sure feel high here in Florida, and this sounds wonderful!

....followed by ice cold watermelon for dessert!

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Yum!  With canteloupe!  Many thanks!

Super Contributor
I love avocado. That sounds delicious. 👍