Respected Contributor

Calabash NC Seafood

[ Edited ]

I love Calabash seafood. It originated in Calabash, NC. Been looking into how to prepare it. It is not battered or uses spices. This is what I found out. Take fresh seafood, dip in evaporated milk, then dredge in self-rising flour, sorta shake off the excess flour. Deep Fat Fry in hot oil, one restaurant uses lard. That's pretty much it. It just has a light crispy coating. So I fried some shrimp and flounder today. When it came outta the oil, I sprinkled on some salt. It was really good and yummy. I used my Fry Daddy that has a preset temperature of 375*. Fried til it was GBD. Golden Brown Delicious. Best seafood.😊❤😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Barbarainnc  Thanks for this!  I have not been to Calabash in many years, but it was my favorite place for seafood.  I used to drive two hours for dinner just for the shrimp and hush puppies!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Calabash Seafood

[ Edited ]

Yeah I'm 2 hours away too. Lots of people drive 2 hours to the beach to eat, then 2 hours back.Now I can save a trip and $$, just to eat seafood. I can cook it myself😊❤😊

Honored Contributor

We loved to eat one night at Calabash when we stayed at Holden's Beach, just 40 minutes away.

After dinner, we's go to Callahan's Gift Shop!  I got my hand painted unusual Christmas china there!  

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Barbarainnc  Thanks for this!  I have not been to Calabash in many years, but it was my favorite place for seafood.  I used to drive two hours for dinner just for the shrimp and hush puppies!

@SXMGirl @Barbarainnc OM!!!!!   I bet we were at Callahagins Gift Shop  together!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I am sure that we were!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@ECBG  I am sure that we were!

@SXMGirl Remember the Christmas Shop!!!!!Smiley Happy

I got my Christmas china there!  Perfect with my antiques!!!