Respected Contributor

I'm not cooking much these days, but this recipe caught my eye.  It's a keeper, IMHO. 

I concoct my own seasoning blends; so, at the bottom of the recipe, I'm including the one I use for Cajun dishes.  Depending on the quantity you want, "part" can be a teaspoon, Tablespoon, cup or bushel. 

Cajun Veggies and Grits
by Ree Drummond on FoodNetwork
Where’s the Meat?  January 4, 2020

Total: 30 min      Active: 30 min      Yield: 4 servings

5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
3/4 cup quick grits
1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 ½ cups grated sharp Cheddar
4 ounces cream cheese
4 Tablespoons salted butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 ounces button mushrooms, halved
1 large zucchini, cut into bite-size chunks
1 ear corn, kernels removed
1 red onion, cut into bite-size chunks
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 ½ Tablespoons Cajun seasoning, plus more as needed *
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
Hot sauce, as needed
Freshly ground black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
3 scallions, sliced, for garnish

Bring 3 cups of the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan. Slowly stir in the grits. Return to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn down the heat and stir in the Monterey Jack, Cheddar and cream cheese. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in 2 Tablespoons of the butter and keep warm.

Heat the remaining 2 cups broth in a separate saucepan until hot.

Meanwhile, heat the oil and remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, corn, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno to the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Season the vegetables with the Cajun seasoning. Continue to cook until well browned, an additional minute. Add the tomato paste. Stir in the hot broth and add hot sauce and black pepper to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender but not mushy, another 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

To serve, spoon a hefty serving of grits into a bowl. Top with the veggies and sauce. Garnish with some scallions and serve.

Cajun Seasoning Blend
2 parts each: salt and garlic powder
1 ½ parts paprika
1 part each: black pepper, onion powder and cayenne
1 1/4 parts each: oregano, thyme and basil
½ part red pepper flakes

Wine:  I enjoyed a glass of (Toad Hollow) Chardonnay, but think a favorite red would be just as well paired.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cajun Vegetables and Grits

Hi @IamMrsG 

How are you?  Blessings to you in the new year!

Would you believe I have never had grits??

This really interests me too!

Thanks for posting!

Esteemed Contributor

Yum love grits. Sounds so good. 

Valued Contributor

Sounds awesome!
@IamMrsG Anytime I see a recipe from you I know it’ll be a good one
Respected Contributor

Hello, @RespectLife !  It is good to touch base with you again, and I hope you are well and happy.  I'm "muddlin' through" these days, as well as can be expected, I s'pose. 

Yes, I can absolutely believe you've never had grits.  I avoided it for years, thinking it gross mush. If you know the hot cereal Cream of Wheat, it has 'bout the same consistency.  Then I had polenta.  Woman Embarassed  (When Chef Mario Batali was asked the difference between grits and polenta, he answered, "About $20 a plate."  Woman Very Happy).     Grits/polenta, though, is made of cornmeal.   

The best I can say to you about this recipe is, "Try it.  I hope you'll like it."  BTW, I had leftovers last night and it reheated well.

Hello to you, too, @HB glamma .  What a nice compliment!  I so appreciate your trust in my recommendations.  Thank you.  Our taste buds vary widely, as well as personal preferences and prejudices, so of course no recipe can come with a guarantee.  

We are blessed with an abundance of choices.  To me, even when just for one, meals that are thoughtfully prepared and presented are evidence of a grateful heart.    

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

I loved Cream of Wheat as a kid, so I should give this a whirl!  Gotta try everything at least once, right?

Would you believe I have never had polenta either??  LOL  And I'm Italian!  It was never, ever made by anyone in the family!  As an adult, I just assummed it was a Mexican dish!

It is on my 'bucket' list to try also!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@IamMrsG 

I loved Cream of Wheat as a kid, so I should give this a whirl!  Gotta try everything at least once, right?

Would you believe I have never had polenta either??  LOL  And I'm Italian!  It was never, ever made by anyone in the family!  As an adult, I just assummed it was a Mexican dish!

As a Southern gal, there is no comparison of cream of wheat and grits.  I was born and raised on grits and love them to this day.  Polenta is a nice dish, maybe a little more coarse and gritty.....prefer grits still.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@IamMrsG 

As a Southern gal, there is no comparison of cream of wheat and grits.  I was born and raised on grits and love them to this day.  Polenta is a nice dish, maybe a little more coarse and gritty.....prefer grits still.  

Another Southern girl here, and I have to agree that I would never think of Cream of Wheat and grits as similar - but then we eat our grits with salt and butter, or cheese, not cream and sugar. I grew up eating grits and love them still, but seldom eat them because I limit white starchy foods. Ah, to be 10 years old again and able to eat bowls of hot buttered grits for breakfast. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Image result for what is a grit anyways?

My Cousin Vinny-Grits

https://youtu.be/pWC0sKCS5oA