Honored Contributor

I really want one.  Do you have a good one to share please?

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal, I was just searching for one yesterday, and plan to make this later this week. (from Allrecipes)

Cabbage Beef Soup

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • ½ large onion, chopped
  • 5 cups chopped cabbage
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 24 ounces tomato sauce
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion, and cook until beef is well browned and crumbled. Drain fat, and transfer beef to a slow cooker. Add cabbage, kidney beans, water, tomato sauce, bouillon, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to dissolve bouillon, and cover.

• Step 2

Cook on high setting for 4 hours, or on low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Stir occasionally. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@qualitygal, I was just searching for one yesterday, and plan to make this later this week. (from Allrecipes)

Cabbage Beef Soup

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • ½ large onion, chopped
  • 5 cups chopped cabbage
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 24 ounces tomato sauce
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion, and cook until beef is well browned and crumbled. Drain fat, and transfer beef to a slow cooker. Add cabbage, kidney beans, water, tomato sauce, bouillon, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to dissolve bouillon, and cover.

• Step 2

Cook on high setting for 4 hours, or on low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Stir occasionally. Enjoy!

DEFINITELY MY KIND OF SOUP!! A couple small changes when I make mine- I will use a box of low sodium or salt free beef BONE broth and omit the teaspoon of salt. 
I can't wait to get to the store to pick up my ingredients! Thank you Harpa!

Respected Contributor

My first thought when I hear cabbage soup is the Weight Watcher version for weight loss.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

There are several recipes for this lighter type of cabbage soup online.  I have eaten it for years.  It is a good way to get my veggies in!

Low calorie veggies cooked in no fat beef broth or chicken broth.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cabbage soup recipe?

[ Edited ]

I have never seen or tried this soup, but worked with a man who ate it one winter and lost a BUNCH of weight. It works with exercise! Our entire division was stunned at his weight loss. 

ETA: I didn't realize it had the tomato sauce and beans in it, as well. It is a healthy soup. But wouldn't one get bored with that MUCH soup? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Cabbage Roll Soup

Cabbage Roll Soup recipe is a delicious dinner recipe that will warm your belly on a cold and crisp fall day. This is the ultimate comfort food!

• 2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 4 cups chopped green cabbage
  • 2 medium carrots quartered and sliced
  • 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 3 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley

1. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add ground beef.
  2. Season ground beef with salt and pepper as desired and cook until browned.
  3. Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until onions are tender.
  4. Add in chopped cabbage, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth, white rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar and stir to combine.
  5. Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
  6. Take out the bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady    I did happen to see some other recipes, and I think if you look around on line, you'll find some w/o the tomato sauce.  Not sure, haven't had that much time to look yet, but you might get lucky. 

Regular Contributor

This is one of my very favorite soups.  I know that brown sugar and vinegar may sound like odd ingredients, but they absolutely MAKE this soup!  nstead of buying a head of cabbage, I just buy bagged coleslaw.

• 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups chopped cabbage
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• 1. Cook the turkey, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
  • 2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 12-15 minutes.
Honored Contributor

I have no recipe, but it starts with onions and celery sauteed, garlic, cabbage diced tomatoes (or better yet whole peeled canned tomatoes in juice and I chop them up in the can with scissors), red bell pepper, a little corn sometimes, chicken or beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt and fresh ground pepper, 2 teaspoons of good vinegar, and a splash of hot sauce.

Mushrooms (saute with onions and celery) are good too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cabbage soup recipe?

[ Edited ]

Spanish Bean Soup with Cabbage

3 LARGE cans of chick peas (Garbanzos)
1 medium onion, diced

Garlic to taste (4-5 cloves), peeled and diced
Olive Oil
1 meaty ham bone or 2-3 ham hocks with meat
(*or 1/2 lb. ham, cut into bite-sized chunks)
Chorizo Sausage, sliced (I use 2 - 4, depending on their sizes)
2-3 large potatoes, peeled, bite-sized cubes

Cabbage (I use 1/2 of a small, tightly packed head), sliced really thin!

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Sazon or Vigo seasoning, 2-3 pkgs.

In a large soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil, until translucent. Remove from the oil and set aside.

Add the ham bone/hock to the pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the ham falls off the bone. Remove the bones and ham from the water. Cut ham into bite-sized pieces.

To the ham stock, add the ham, beef, onion, garlic, and beans, chorizo and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer.

Add the Sazon...and simmer until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add cabbage and cook until the cabbage is softened.

Enjoy!