Super Contributor

CUCUMBER FRIG SALAD

[ Edited ]

My family has always liked cucumbers, and I've fixed them in a variety of ways.  So I was a little surprised when my sons  (42 &37) made such a big deal about a new recipie I fixed for our 4th of July cookout.  It was easy and claims to keep in the frig for 2 MONTHS. . . 

CUCUMBER FRIG SALAD

4 unpeeled cucumbers, sliced thin

1 sliced red onion

1 sliced green pepper

1 tablespoon salt

2 cups white vinegar

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 t celery seeds

1 t red pepper flakes

In a bowl, stir the vegetables and salt together.  Set aside.  In a small saucepan stir the vinegar, sugar, seeds and flakes together.  Bring to boil, dissolving the sugar.  Remove from heat and add two hands full of ice cubes.  When the ice has melted, and brine had cooled to room temp., drain vegetables and place in a large glass jar.  Pour cooled brine over vegetables, stir gently, cover tightly and store in frig.  Serve cold, and will keep up to 2 months in frig.

Respected Contributor

That looks delicious!

Honored Contributor

@lork ................Sounds good.  Its a mini version of canning/pickling them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Yes, that sounds very good. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds yummy!  I remember a popular cafeteria here served a similar looking salad when I was growing up.

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't last 2 months in my fridge!  I'd use monk fruit instead of the sugar, to make it low carb/keto friendly.  I could see mixing some of the brine with a little avocado oil and making a salad dressing.