Honored Contributor

CREAMY WILD MUSHROOMS WITH BACON

This recipe came from a recent cooking class of Thanksgiving sides.  It is definitely a keeper for me.  I could just eat a big bowl of it and be happy.

4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons
1 med yellow onion, diced
2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, sliced large (chanterelle, cremini, oyster, lobster, ******ake)
2 t fresh thyme, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream

1 t chicken base paste (Better Than Bouillon)

Saute bacon until the fat is rendered and bacon is almost crisp.  Add the onions and saute until soft.  Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and saute until the mushrooms are soft.  Add the heavy cream and chicken base.  Check for seasoning and keep warm until ready to serve.

Serves 6

I used less cream - probably about 1/4 cup.  

Honored Contributor

Re: CREAMY WILD MUSHROOMS WITH BACON

If you are taking a cooking class & are using Truffles they have a deal on View Your Deal which ends today. Sabatino Truffle Oil or Spread. The seasonings sold out but are on backorder.

Have fun. Cooking Class does sound fun.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @DiAnne !

It always makes my day when I see you have posted recipes, because I know I am going to love them!

Honored Contributor

To paraphrase "The Godfather", take the bacon, leave the mushrooms!! LOL! I love bacon, can't stand mushrooms, tho I love the flavor of them in a gravy, I hate the texture, makes me shudder just thinking of it!

Valued Contributor

This recipe sounds delicious and I can make it on my Atkins Diet.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Sounds delicious! But I'll have to admit, I didn't even know what a lardon was. Now I do cause Google is my friend. HA!

Thanks!