Honored Contributor

CREAMY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

This recipe is from Siri Daly's cookbook.  The title is a little deceptive because there are no tortillas in this soup only as a garnish.

2 T olive oil
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup diced celery
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced

1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 t ground cumin
1 t paprika
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground chipolte
1 t Kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
2 t flour

1 (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, drained
2 T half and half, heavy cream or whole milk
4 cups homemade chicken stock
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)

Garnish: sour cream, tortilla chips, queso fresco, chopped fresh cilantro or green onions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add the cilantro, cumin, paprika, chili powder, chipolte, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.  Add the flour and cook, stirring often, until golden (about 1 minute).  
Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer.  

Stir in cream until combined.  Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and use a handheld immersion blender processing until smooth or desired consistency is reached.  

Return to medium heat and stir in the chicken and corn.  Simmer until the chicken is heated through and the corn is tender, about 15 minutes.  Serve with toppings of your choice.

The ground chipolte was my addition and I did not use the immersion blender so my soup was not "creamy" but I left the instructions in the recipe because I might another time.

Respected Contributor

Re: CREAMY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

@DiAnne   This recipe sounds delicious, when will it be ready to sample?     LOL

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

This recipe is from Siri Daly's cookbook.  The title is a little deceptive because there are no tortillas in this soup only as a garnish.

2 T olive oil
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/3 cup diced celery
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced

1 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 t ground cumin
1 t paprika
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground chipolte
1 t Kosher salt
1/2 t black pepper
2 t flour

1 (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, drained
2 T half and half, heavy cream or whole milk
4 cups homemade chicken stock
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)

Garnish: sour cream, tortilla chips, queso fresco, chopped fresh cilantro or green onions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add the cilantro, cumin, paprika, chili powder, chipolte, salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.  Add the flour and cook, stirring often, until golden (about 1 minute).  
Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer.  

Stir in cream until combined.  Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and use a handheld immersion blender processing until smooth or desired consistency is reached.  

Return to medium heat and stir in the chicken and corn.  Simmer until the chicken is heated through and the corn is tender, about 15 minutes.  Serve with toppings of your choice.

The ground chipolte was my addition and I did not use the immersion blender so my soup was not "creamy" but I left the instructions in the recipe because I might another time.

@DiAnne   Please cease your recipe posting unless you intend to fax me a cup of this delicious soup.  You are making me very hungry.  Gotta go.  Get the ingredients.  Will let you know Saturday how it turned out.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne   Thank you for sharing this one, and for including your addition of chipotle--a good idea.  I have saved the recipe to my files and look forward to cooler, 'soup weather.' 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne   Thanks for posting this recipe!

I'm not a big cilantro/chipolte fan so I just omitted them.  The other spices gave it plenty of flavor.  

Instead of adding milk, I made the soup and topped it with a dollop of sour cream and chips.

I was really surprised at how easy, quick and tasty this soup is!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

We all make recipes our own!  Thanks for letting me know you liked it.  Easy and tasty are my mantra also.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delish! I've had chicken tortilla soup before, but never with any milk or cream. Goodness, I bet this is so good!

Valued Contributor

Wow! Sounds like a great recipe!! Can't wait to try it.