Respected Contributor

CRANBERRIES, FROZEN ,WHERE TO FIND THEM?

I make cranberry sauce all year round and use frozen berries. I thought I had purchased enough to tide me over til the holidays, but I ran out. I went to Sprouts, Vons and Ralphs, but alas,none to be found. Does anyone know where to find them? I live in Southern CA.TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: CRANBERRIES, FROZEN ,WHERE TO FIND THEM?

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I can't help you.  Are frozen cranberries, sold at retail, a thing?  I've never seen them, that I can recall.  I used to just freeze my own extras.  I think they should start showing up In the produce section  pretty soon though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush 

You're probably looking for Ocean Spray??

Cranberries are harvested between mid-September and November.  Maybe, you will see them soon.  

Ocean Spray has a "where to buy page."  See link below.

No grocery stores currently have them in my area. 

Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries | Ocean Spray

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had homemade cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving and Christmas my whole life. It uses fresh cranberries. It's not really a sauce. It's more like an Italian ice or sorbet. It takes 5 days to make since it's cooked, strained, beat, frozen, beat, frozen, beat, frozen, beat.  In the end, it's frozen and an ice cream scoop is used to serve it. 

The recipe came from my great-great-grandma. My son took over making it for the holidays when Mom was too sick before her death.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush- In So. Cal- try Pavilions, Albertson's or Gelson's.

Online- Amazon has them but they are pricey.

Valued Contributor

I used to find them at Whole Foods, again a little pricey.  I pay more attention to how many I freeze during the season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found some at Sprouts and Whole Foods. I make my own dried cranberries (craisins) and use a sugar substitute to cut back on carbs. 

Trusted Contributor

They are a seasonal item at Whole Foods.  I buy quite a few bags and keep them in a big bag in my freezer as I put some in my smoothies several times a week.  I also use them in muffins.  I have probably 6 or more cups left so hope I have enough to last until they reappear sometime this fall.  They'll only last in the store for a few months so stock up if you want to have them year round.