Honored Contributor

CHINESE TAKE OUT SECRET-YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS

Have you noticed that chicken and sometimes even beef and pork at Chinese restaurants is extremely tender and has a different texture that is quite unique to Chinese dishes?

The technique is called velveting and it’s dead simple to do at home. All it requires is a bit of baking soda (bi-carb) to lightly coat the raw chicken, set aside for 15 minutes then wash off thoroughly before proceeding to make the stir fry. The first time you try this, you will be amazed!

The baking soda essentially breaks down the chicken fibres, making it very soft and giving what I describe as a “spongey” texture. As unappealing as that sounds, I don’t know how else to describe it!

Chinese Cashew Chicken Stir Fry - Just like what you get at restaurants, INCLUDING tenderising the chicken!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: CHINESE TAKE OUT SECRET-YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS

I will be making this in the next few days and will let you know what happens................it sounds so easy and too good to be true.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@catlover. I've seen this done on America's Test Kitchen, but I've never tried it myself, let us know how it works .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

A lot of Chinese cooking also uses MSG as a tenderizer.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@catlover wrote:

Have you noticed that chicken and sometimes even beef and pork at Chinese restaurants is extremely tender and has a different texture that is quite unique to Chinese dishes?

The technique is called velveting and it’s dead simple to do at home. All it requires is a bit of baking soda (bi-carb) to lightly coat the raw chicken, set aside for 15 minutes then wash off thoroughly before proceeding to make the stir fry. The first time you try this, you will be amazed!

The baking soda essentially breaks down the chicken fibres, making it very soft and giving what I describe as a “spongey” texture. As unappealing as that sounds, I don’t know how else to describe it!

Chinese Cashew Chicken Stir Fry - Just like what you get at restaurants, INCLUDING tenderising the chicken!

@catlover

If you do this, please post and tell us how it worked out.  I am intrigued.  Also, the picture is making me so hungry!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Many, if not most, Chinese restaurants have stopped using MSG due to all the side effects.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Many, if not most, Chinese restaurants have stopped using MSG due to all the side effects.

@colliegirls

That's correct .... they stopped using MSG ages ago, and now state in the menu  "No MSG Used".     

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this FANTASTIC tip! I have a few Chinese American cookbooks, and I have seen "velveting" described as marinating in a corn starch slurry-that never made sense to me-I can't wait to try this! Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I look forward to making this myself........I can't tell you how many times I've said to my husband-I wish I knew how they got the chicken like this....I wish I could make chicken like this etc............

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Super Contributor

@catlover I know exactly that wonderful texture you're talking about.

I velveted some pork loin a few weeks ago and it really did change the texture to more of what you get in a Chinese restaurant.

The method I used, which is all over the internet, is to make a mixture of cornstarch, egg white, a little salt, and rice wine vinegar or rice wine, and marinate the strips of meat for 30 minutes. You then drain the meat and either quickly deep fry it like most Chinese restaurants do to par cook it before using it in different dishes or you par cook it in simmering water with a little oil added, which is what I did.

I really like the method you shared, much easier and will definitely try it. Question: do you know if you need to par cook it first?

Thanks.