Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

sounds great---love  caramalize onions---but learned a little trick to it---just after they start to turn color, I add a small amount of water to the pan and for some reason, they do even better and don't get sticky or too browned. Can't tell you where I read this but have used this a few times with great results.

I do this too with tasty results.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife

Hot Caramelized Onion Dip with Bacon and Gruyere
Prep Time
30 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
50 mins

Sweet Onion, bacon, gooey cheese all mixed in with sour cream and mayo. An appetizer doesn't get more delicious than that!

Course: Appetizer
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 287 kcal
Author: Christin Mahrlig
Ingredients
  • 4 bacon strips
  • 2 sweet onions halved and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry
  • 1/4 teaspoon tabasco
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 cup shredded Gruyere Cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Crumble.
  3. Add onions, sugar, and salt to bacon fat in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until onions turn a deep golden brown color. This can take as long as 20 minutes. If onions start to burn, turn heat down to medium-low.
  4. Add sherry and cook 1 minute. Stir in thyme and tabasco. Remove from heat.
  5. Mix together sour cream and mayo in a medium bowl. Add crumbled bacon, cheese, onion mixture, and black pepper. Mix together well and transfer to a 2-cup baking dish.
  6. Bake 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
Recipe Notes

Yield: 2 cups

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
Calories 287
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb

I can't thank you enough!  Sounds Delicious!!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@denisemb

@RespectLife

Oh, it is!  If anyone is interested in the original (with pictures) it's at a website called Spicy Southern Kitchen

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

TY for this recipe! But I didn't see it until after I was looking for a hot dip to serve w/ crackers. I found a variation, modified just a tweak on my part, and it was a hit at last night's party!

The carmalelized onions, (carmalelized w/ a pinch of sugar to prevent any aftertaste) a little tub of Philadelphia cream cheese garden vegetable, pkg. of Vermont Seriously Sharp shredded cheddar, and about 1 1/2 cups of Hellman's mayonnaise.

Mix all in a bowl, transfer to a buttered baking dish -- cover & bake @ 325 degrees for 45 minutes.

(I always heat the baking dish as the oven is preheating, and this prevents any sticking, then put in a pat of butter.)

Trusted Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@denisemb

@RespectLife

Oh, it is!  If anyone is interested in the original (with pictures) it's at a website called Spicy Southern Kitchen

Here is the picture

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

You never fail to disappoint with your yummy recipes. Thank you.

I am bringing several appetizers to our Thanksgiving feast. This dip is seemingly portable and won't require getting in the way of our family chef.

Do you have a recommendation for a good cracker to serve?

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz

I serve it with vegetables.  I went to an upscale market and got rainbow carrots, purple cauliflower and red cherry tomatoes but if I was going to use a cracker I would use a crisp cracker but that is just a preference of mine.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CARAMELIZED ONION DIP

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@magicmoodz

I serve it with vegetables.  I went to an upscale market and got rainbow carrots, purple cauliflower and red cherry tomatoes but if I was going to use a cracker I would use a crisp cracker but that is just a preference of mine.  

@DiAnne

I am sure your selection of vegetables makes for a beautiful presentation. I might just copy you and then have crackers for the younger people who could walk right by a platter full of veggies.

Thank you!