Honored Contributor

I go to my local natural food grocer and buy just the amount I need. Am done with buying so much that I end up throwing most of it away after a few months. And I buy organic and GMO free too. I don't cook alot anymore but do rely on good seasoning and flavors when I do. But would never buy things like that at a dollar store---who knows where it is packaged and what is really in there along with the supposed herb/ spice.

Honored Contributor

I only buy organic spices. For the things I use alot of, I buy online and I prefer Frontier organics. For things I don't go through alot of, I just buy smaller amounts from the bulk organic spices at Whole Foods or whatever natural food store is around.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We don't have a Penzey's so I have to order online. I buy the bags of spices from them to refill my jars. 

I also buy Simply Organic & Frontier Coop Spices online also organic. I don't care for the plastic flimsy flip top cap on the Frontier jars it always breaks.

@Nightowlz I love all the Frontier co-op salt free spice mixes! I use the Mexican FIesta one ALOT including in my homemade chili recipe. The Indian spice mix one is good too. Can't remember the exact name.

Valued Contributor

I get mine from the Amish and I have to say they are the best spices I have ever every used.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I am lucky to have both a Spice House and Penzy's within 30 minutes of me but I prefer the Spice House.  Both are great places but when my friend and I visited the Spice House my friend went to momentarily place her purse on what we thought was a counter and the staff flew over to stop her as that was where they actually blend the spices so the public can see (please know her purse did not touch the marble top . . . Smiley Happy).

These folks are serious about their spices and their quality, I couldn't recommend them more.

If you are looking for more exotic spices Myspicer dot com is a great site too.  They have things I couldn't even begin to think what to do with but their spices are fresh, ship quickly and you can pick a free sample with your order.

Super Contributor

All organic from Morton & Bassett in CA.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.  There aren't any spice stores in my area so I always order online.  It looks like that's what I'll continue to do but I will look at some of these other options besides Penzeys.

Honored Contributor

I buy some spices from Penzey's when they run free shipping deals.  I like that I can get the spices in the small sizes.  

I really like to get spices bulk so I can purchase a really small amount especially if I need a odd spice for a recipe.

I also look for the sales on things I use alot of like bay leaves, etc.   

Honored Contributor

I get bottles of resturant quality spices from Sams and keep the bottles in the freezer to keep them fresh.

Honored Contributor

I usually buy at the natural foods market because they sell in bulk in bags and I can just refill my containers plus they are fresh. I also buy at various international, Indian and Mexican markets. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval