Trusted Contributor

Buy Your Canned Pumpkin Now?

[ Edited ]

We live in the country and many farmers in our areas contract with Nestle's (Libby's) to grow pumpkins.  They are canned about 30 miles from here.

We have had so much rain that some fields of pumpkin plants are not looking good.  Sometimes there's standing water, which washes out the plants' roots, some plants are turning yellow as a result of too much moisture, and too much moisture can cause an increase in fungus and molds, thereby reducing production.

So, you may want to check the expiration date on cans that are in stock in the stores.  If you think you would use it before the expiration date, you may want to buy some.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: Buy Your Canned Pumpkin Now?

WOW! You must live up north because we haven't planted pumpkins yet. We plant them in September. It is too hot down here to do it now. For SOOOO long I didn't know what canned pumpkin was for. We always have fresh pumpkins to make pies with. I now use canned pumpkin in my smoothies, but still make my pies from scratch with baking the pumpkins and all. We pick the pumpkins when we pick the turnip greens, mustard greens, and collards. We also grind our sugar cane and make cane syrup in the fall before the first hard freeze, usually late November.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I buy it all year long, because I add it to my dog's food to keep her stomach calm.  The prices have been very high all year long.  I didn't even get a good price on it last fall, when it usually goes on sale.  I did buy several cans at the 99 cent store, but the quality is not like Libby's.  It's good enough for my dog, but I wouldn't want to cook with it.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info. I give my dog pureed pumkin to make sure she gets fiber. Vet recommended giving her some daily to help with her [backside] glands.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  I have one large can on hand, in case the dog needs it, but I'll be sure to pick up a few more in the near future..  Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I buy it all year long, because I add it to my dog's food to keep her stomach calm.  The prices have been very high all year long.  I didn't even get a good price on it last fall, when it usually goes on sale.  I did buy several cans at the 99 cent store, but the quality is not like Libby's.  It's good enough for my dog, but I wouldn't want to cook with it.

Yes, I only buy Libby's, as long as I can remember, because my mom said "only Libby's, always". 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Once the pumpkins are out for sale, I stock up.  We paid about $4.00 each for huge pumpkins.  I bake them,  put three day servings in each baggie and freeze, thawing out one baggie at a time. My dogs love this better than the canned.  I also bake yams or sweet potatoes for them, all of which keeps the a n a l glands cleaned out.

Trusted Contributor

Where do you live, wismiss? 

I grew up in Salem, Oregon where they can pumpkins as well. It was a warm winter and a hot summer so far out west. I have no idea how that will effect the pumpkin crop in particular...I guess I need to see what google knows. 

Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Check out Aldi.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info, I still have some pumpkin puree from roasted pie pumpkins in the freezer from last year and our pie pumpkin plants are doing good this year so far, even though we got a lot of rain. I have little baby pumpkins on them now. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval