Super Contributor

Re: Butter Chicken - InstaPot or stove top?

@haddon9

I'll be interested in hearing how your chicken turns out.

We decided to give this delivery thing a try. They're called Passamante's. The meat and fish is outstanding and its great to have it onhand. But its NOT cheap, and its just my husband and I. Our six month order will probably last us over a year so I doubt we'll do it again after our six months is up.

Honored Contributor

I'll let you know how it turns out> Smiley Happy

My brother gave me a gift of organic steaks, chicken & turkey from a farm in the midwest. (can't remember the name right now) . He gave us a similar gift last year and it was wonderful....but it's only one shipment that will last us most of the winter since we don't eat a lot of meat.  It's also only the two of us.

Honored Contributor

PSA..I giggle every time I see this:

F49AC192-C20B-4D71-A3EA-58B5E7A43639.png

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr. Your Aussie girl doesn't look like she's missing the agility course and is very content to kick back in "her" recliner.  She's a beautiful dog.  My first mini was a blue mere.  All of my dogs, except for the avatar collie, have been rescues.

Your Butter Chicken sounds delicious and not too complicated either.  I'd go for the PC preparation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Will you please publish your Instant Pot butter chicken recipe.  I have an Instant Pot that I've never used, but we love butter chicken, so that would be a good 1st recipe to try.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@loriqvc

I've been using free range, organic chicken breasts. We signed up for a home delivery service that provides restaurant quality meats. While the breasts are smaller and have nothing injected into them (or the bird) and have good flavor, they are much leaner than I'm used to cooing with. So far I haven't done anything but skillet cooking with them so this will be an experiment if I do the Insta Pot. Here's hoping it comes out great!

@AussieLuvr . I got both an InstaPot & organic meat & chicken for Christmas.  I have not used my InstaPot yet but plan on trying it out for the first time this weekend.  I plan on making my organic chicken parm....looks very easy!

Hope both of our meals come out great! Smiley Happy

@haddon9

This Butter Chicken recipe is from Amy & Jacky which were hired by Instant Pot & Tatung as Recipe Developers. You can find their site if you Google Amy & Jacky. They have step by step directions with pictures. I have not made this recipe.

Ingredients

Garnish:
  • Fresh cilantro

Instructions
  • Brown Chicken Thighs: Heat up Instant Pot using Sauté More function. Wait until it says HOT (~8 mins). Pat dry the skinless chicken thighs, then season one side with some kosher salt. Add 2 tbsp (25g) ghee or unsalted butter. Then, brown 2 sides of the chicken thighs in Instant Pot for 3 minutes per side. Set aside the browned chicken thighs.
  • Saute Onions and Spices: Add sliced onions in Instant Pot, and saute for 4 minutes. Add minced ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp (24g) garam masala, 2 tbsp (24g) sugar, 3 tbsp (22g) paprika, 1 tsp (2g) ground turmeric, 1 ¼ tsp (2.5g) ground coriander, and 1 ¼ tsp (2.5g) ground cumin. Then, saute for another minute.
  • Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour in ½ cup (125ml) unsalted chicken stock, then completely deglaze the bottom of the pot. Turn off the heat briefly.
  • Pressure Cook Butter Chicken: Add 3 tbsp (45ml) regular soy sauce, browned chicken thighs (& the meat juice!), then add freshly squeezed lemon juice from half a lemon (20ml) in Instant Pot. Layer 1 cup (225g) tomato paste on top and do not mix! 
    Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 6 minutes*, then 10 minutes Natural Release. 

*Pressure Cooking Time Chart:

-Chicken Breasts: High Pressure 5 mins

-Boneless Chicken Thighs: High Pressure 5 mins

-Chicken DrumsticksHigh Pressure 7 mins

-Chicken CubesHigh Pressure 2 mins

Remove the lid carefully and give it a few gentle stirs so the tomato paste infuses into the sauce.
  • Make Butter Chicken Sauce: Set aside the chicken thighs in a serving bowl. Mix in 1 ½ cup (370g) plain yogurt and ⅓ cup (83ml) heavy cream. For smoother butter chicken sauce, blend sauce with an immersion blender. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt, sugar, lemon juice, and yogurt. For Reference: we added 3 pinches of salt + a tablespoon lemon juice.
  • Serve: Add chicken thighs back in Instant Pot, then give them a quick mix. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy every bite of this Glorious Butter Chicken!~ 

Instant Pot Butter Chicken | Pressure Cooker Butter Chicken | Butter Chicken Recipe | Instant Pot Indian Recipes | Instant Pot Asian Recipes | Instant Pot Chicken Recipes | Easy Chicken Dinner | Instant Pot Recipes

Contributor

Thank you for this.  I will check out that website for sure.  Sounds great.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624

Thank you, Mardi is living a very spoiled life now. No more weaves, tunnels or jumps, or seasaws for her!

I've been taking the dogs my breeder retires from showing for the last twenty years. She retires them at about seven and if she isn't going to put them into her breeding rotation, they come to me. Mardi is seven years old and is perfectly behaved in the house and has a perfect recall due to her obedience background. I've had four perfect dogs over the last twenty years!

As to the Butter Chicken, I have decided on doing it in the Pressure Cooker. I have Basmati scented rice and some naan bread, too, so I'm ready! Fingers crossed my husband likes it. He is from the upper Midwest and is a meat, potatoes and gravy kinda guy. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@bbqjudge

Sure thing ... here you go!

BUTTER CHICKEN

Ingredients

• 1  14- ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 5-6cloves garlic
  • 1-2teaspoons minced ginger
  • 1teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1teaspoon paprika
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1teaspoon garam masala
  • 1teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (or use breast, bone-in, or whatever works for you. If frozen, add 1-2 minutes to total time)
  • To finish
  • 4ounces butter cut into cubes (use coconut oil if dairy free)
  • 4ounces heavy cream (use full-fat coconut milk if dairy free)
  • 1teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/4-1/2cup chopped cilantro

Instant Pot instructions

1. Place all ingredients into an Instant Pot in the order listed, EXCEPT for the butter, cream and 1 teaspoon of the garam masala, mixing the sauce well before you place the chicken on top of the sauce. If it's frozen, push it into the sauce a bit so it defrosts better
  2. Close the cooker and set for 10 mins on high, and let it release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. After that, release all remaining pressure. 
  3. Open up the pot and remove the chicken carefully and set aside
  4. Blend together all the ingredients, preferably using an immersion blender
  5. Add the cut up butter, cream, cilantro, and garam masala and stir until well incorporated.
  6. It's best to let the sauce cool just a little before adding the butter and the cream. Adding it into the boiling sauce will make your sauce very thin. If that happens, just put it in the fridge for a little and let it thicken up. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
  7. Take out half the sauce and freeze for later or store in the fridge for 2-3 days
  8. Add the chicken back in and heat through. Break it up into smaller pieces if you need but don't shred it.
  9. Serve over rice, or zucchini noodles

Using leftover sauce

1. Use leftover cooked chicken and mix in with the gently heated sauce, let it simmer for a few for the flavors to meld together and there you go. Add some fresh cilantro on top.
  2. You could also use this for Paneer Makhani. Defrost a cup of peas and 1 cup of paneer and mix gently into the heated sauce and let it simmer for a few for the flavors to meld together and there you go.

Honored Contributor

I figured out to make the garam masala spice mix would cost a minimum of $16.  That's just one ingredient of spices I'd probably never use again.  Expensive dish to make.  You'd have to churn out a lot of butter chicken to make this cost effective.  Let us know if it's worth it.

You're lucky to get such nice dogs; I would expect they'd behave like angels.  The older dogs are great finds if you can establish a close relationship with a breeder so they trust you.  I would have loved to have had the mother of my avatar collie.  What a beauty she was, but my timing was never right.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment