Valued Contributor

Bundt cake mixes-anyone else miss them?

I know I can use a bundt pan to bake a cake, but I miss the convenience of the mixes. I loved the chocolate with the coconut center.

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Bundt cake mixes-anyone else miss them?

The Tunnel Of Fudge and Cinnamon Sugar were 2 delish favorites of ours.

Esteemed Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

I was going to say the tunnel of fudge cake too! My mother used to  make these for our birthdays. I so miss them!

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

I was going to say the tunnel of fudge cake too! My mother used to  make these for our birthdays. I so miss them!

@Effie54, My Mom made them too....there was another one with a vanilla pudding in the center and one with lemon that she made.

I have no idea why they would stop making something so good!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

1987 Pillsbury Bundt Cake Mix Ad - Unbelievable Bundt

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

I know I can use a bundt pan to bake a cake, but I miss the convenience of the mixes. I loved the chocolate with the coconut center.

cookin

Oh wow, that is the exact one I miss!   I figured I was the only one.   Sure, there are recipes but for something like this I just want the mix.    It was exactly what had me to purchase my first (and only) bundt cake pan.  

Esteemed Contributor

I never knew there used to be quick mixes for these cakes—that's fun! I still bake Bundts all the time; they're always so lovely on a dessert table.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I so miss the Tunnel of Fudge.  I remember the first year I had to tell my little brother he would not get his favorite birthday cake he would have to choose another.  He picked Pumpkin Pie since no cake for him compared to Tunnel of Fudge.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My SIL's brother brought this cake for dessert a few Thanksgivings ago, just scrumptious served with warm caramel sauce!:

Cake:

3 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

3 cups peeled and chopped apples

1 tbsp lemon juice

3 tbsp dark brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups vegetable oil

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

Filling:

8oz softened cream cheese

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 egg

Glaze:

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Toss apples with 1 tbsp lemon juice, then stir in dark brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.  Blend oil, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer.  Mix in eggs one at a time.  Stir in flour mixture until just blended.  Drain any liquid from apples and stir into batter.  Pour into well-greased and floured Bundt pan.

For filling, beat cream cheese wuth electric mixer on medium until smooth.  Beat in sugar, vanilla, and egg until creamy.  Make 1" trench in center of batter with back of spoon.  Dollop cream cheese mixture into trench.  Swirl filling into batter with butter knife.  Bake for 1 hr, 15 minutes in 350 degree oven until toothpick comes out with only a few moist crumbs.  Cool cake in pan.

For glaze:  Bring all ingredients to boil for 1 minute in small pan over medium heat, stir constantly.  Pour over cake while still in pan and let cool.  When cool, turn onto serving plate and store in refrigerator.

For extra decadence, top with caramel sauce:

4 tbsp butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp vanilla

Bring butter, brown sugar, cream, and pinch of salt to simmer in saucepan over medium-low heat until slightly thickened (5-7 minutes), whisking gently.  Whisk in vanilla and cook another minute to become thicker.  Serve slightly warm drizzled over cake.  Sauce can be made in advance and stored in jar in refrigerator and warmed before serving. 

Honored Contributor

I loved them all, and wish they were still available.