Super Contributor

Ooops, forgot to add that at the end of the 3 months, I used clean cheesecloth to drain the juice from the solids. This is probably a two-person process. Then I funnel it into very clean vodka bottle or wine bottles. Chill. And. Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Thank you ladies for the ideas! Alicedee, it is soooo easy.

Plum Vodka

2 pounds small red plums, the smaller the better, use only ripe plums

2 cups sugar

1 750 ml bottle of good plain vodka

Recipe Preparation: Combine pitted plums and sugar in a large glass jar or crock. Add vodka. Stir to dissolve sugar, and cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place at least 3 months before using. Plum vodka should taste floral and almost Sherry-like, with notes of caramel and raisins. Store chilled up to a year.

My add-ons: I do leave the skins on, they add a lot of flavor. Buy a good vodka, the manager at our Twin Liquors said if you are investing that much time in it, use a better brand. He suggested Reyka, which is $22.00 a bottle. I gave mine a little stir every 2 weeks or so. Remember, it IS vodka, so drink it sparingly, it'll sneak up on you! I also made some with California peaches last year, it was just as delicious! If you make it, let me know how you liked it!!

Thanks so much for the recipe!  I think I will make a batch soon.  I will let you know how I like it.  Peach sounds great, too!

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Thank you ladies for the ideas! Alicedee, it is soooo easy.

Plum Vodka

2 pounds small red plums, the smaller the better, use only ripe plums

2 cups sugar

1 750 ml bottle of good plain vodka

Recipe Preparation: Combine pitted plums and sugar in a large glass jar or crock. Add vodka. Stir to dissolve sugar, and cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place at least 3 months before using. Plum vodka should taste floral and almost Sherry-like, with notes of caramel and raisins. Store chilled up to a year.

My add-ons: I do leave the skins on, they add a lot of flavor. Buy a good vodka, the manager at our Twin Liquors said if you are investing that much time in it, use a better brand. He suggested Reyka, which is $22.00 a bottle. I gave mine a little stir every 2 weeks or so. Remember, it IS vodka, so drink it sparingly, it'll sneak up on you! I also made some with California peaches last year, it was just as delicious! If you make it, let me know how you liked it!!

@nanny24 @Do you store it for that three months “waiting time” in the refrigerator?  Or just refrigerate it after it’s ready to drink?

Super Contributor

No, I just put in on a dark counter in my dining room for the 3 months, and after 3 months, filter it, and keep it in frig. I do hope you make it, and enjoy it ! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wow, I don't know if I had a bumper crop of plums. It's the only fruit I hate! Hope you find a lot of good uses for them.

"Pure Michigan"