Super Contributor

I have a bumper crop of plums this year. Already made 2 batches of jam, and 2 recipes of plum vodka. Does anyone have ideas for plums?? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Freeze and put in smoothies.....plum tarts, plum pies....

You are lucky, we have not had them in the grocer (DC area) for weeks and I am missing the black plums.....

Respected Contributor

I don't know that I'd enjoy a plum smoothie, but take a look at this Martha Stewart link. 43 ideas for using plums. EnjoySmiley Happy

https://www.marthastewart.com/275422/plum-recipes

Frequent Contributor

Plum cobbler!!

Valued Contributor

@de1rdre wrote:

Plum cobbler!!

@de1rdre 

That's exactly what I was thinking & going to suggest! 😊

Valued Contributor

Plum shortcake!  I like peaches so I make peach shortcake instead of strawberry shortcake.  So you could make it with plums instead.  Just slice and mix with some sugar to desired taste and let stand for an hour or two.  Then assemble shortcakes, (sometimes I use the dessert crepes too!), add whipped cream, and dessert is ready!  Yum! 😊

Honored Contributor

I make a plum crisp from my SIL's apple crisp recipe.  Yummy if served warm with ice cream:

Topping:

6 tbsp flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

5 tbsp butter, cut into 1/2" cubes and chilled

3/4 cup chopped pecans

Fruit:

6 cups plums, peeled and cut into 1/2" wedges

1/4 cup sugar

1 tbsp cornstarch

1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp lemon zest

Pulse flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter in food processor until resembling coarse sand.  Pulse in nuts until resembling crumbly sand.  Refrigerate.

Toss plums, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and zest in bowl.  Pour into 9" deep-dish pie plate and top with topping.  Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.  Turn oven up to 400 degrees and bake for 5 minutes longer to brown topping.  

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

I have a bumper crop of plums this year. Already made 2 batches of jam, and 2 recipes of plum vodka. Does anyone have ideas for plums?? Thanks!

Is it difficult to make plum vodka?  Could you share how you do it?  It sounds good!

Honored Contributor
I'd keep bottling the plum vodka. It sounds like a rare flavor.
Super Contributor

Thank you ladies for the ideas! Alicedee, it is soooo easy.

Plum Vodka

2 pounds small red plums, the smaller the better, use only ripe plums

2 cups sugar

1 750 ml bottle of good plain vodka

Recipe Preparation: Combine pitted plums and sugar in a large glass jar or crock. Add vodka. Stir to dissolve sugar, and cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place at least 3 months before using. Plum vodka should taste floral and almost Sherry-like, with notes of caramel and raisins. Store chilled up to a year.

My add-ons: I do leave the skins on, they add a lot of flavor. Buy a good vodka, the manager at our Twin Liquors said if you are investing that much time in it, use a better brand. He suggested Reyka, which is $22.00 a bottle. I gave mine a little stir every 2 weeks or so. Remember, it IS vodka, so drink it sparingly, it'll sneak up on you! I also made some with California peaches last year, it was just as delicious! If you make it, let me know how you liked it!!