Honored Contributor

I just use the recipe on the box (Betty Crocker or Pillsbury).

Frequent Contributor

I am a big fan of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix but will also buy Duncan Hines and Pillsbury; whatever is on sale. 

The last two times I have made brownies I have added 1 level tablespoon of Hershey's Baking Cocoa with great results, it seems to deepen the flavor.  I add a handful of chopped  walnuts, also.

I have a Wearever 9x13 pan (shiny, no coating) that I have been using for brownies for over forty years.  I spray the bottom and the sides slightly, even though directions say not to, with canola oil spray.  If you have a dark or coated pan adjust your baking time to less per directions on box.  Bake for the minimum amount of time and check with a toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan.  

As an FYI, I have always had electric ovens and do not know if a gas oven would make a difference.

Honored Contributor

I came across this recipe a couple of years ago and it is always received with rave reviews.  Normally I don't even like brownies, but I do like these:

Bombshell Brownies

3 c granulated sugar

1 c melted butter

1 T vanilla extract

4 eggs

1 1/2 c all purpose flour

1 c cocoa powder

1 t salt

1 c semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350°

Lightly grease two 8" pans.

Stir together sugar, melted butter and vanilla in a large bowl.

Beat in eggs, one at a time until thoroughly blended.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl.

Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until combined.

Stir in chocolate morsels.

Divide batter between two dishes.

Bake 30-35 minutes.

Cool completely before cutting.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@4kitties OMGosh!  I made the Hepburn brownies using the screen shot posted earlier in this thread, which uses cocoa.  I used a Temp-tations 2 qt. square baker (app. 8x8) sprayed with Pam, preheated the oven to 325, and followed the directions baking them for 40 minutes exactly.  They came out of the pan easily using a plastic knife to cut them.  They are just as you described--fudgy and moist!  My husband and I agree that these are the best we've ever eaten.  I used plain ol' Hershey's cocoa, a stick of salted butter, and omitted the pinch of salt, since I was using salted butter.  PERFECT!  Thank you so much!

Frequent Contributor

This is the best recipe I've found and I've made a lot of brownies from boxes and recipes:

onceuponachef.com/recipes/supernatural-brownies.html

They/re as easy to make as boxed brownies.

Respected Contributor

Re: Brownie Recipe

[ Edited ]

I love Ghirardelli brownie mix - the Ultimate Brownie mix with the chocolate packet. I like them soft and chewie rather than cake like. Plus I like the fact that it just takes 1 egg

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@4kitties thank you for mentioning the Hepburn recipe, i had not heard about this and thank you @Houstonoilers for the link to the recipe. It seems very easy. Im going to try this out. 

@LizzieInSRQ I have been making these for at least 30 years.  You cannot go wrong with them!

Also, a friend of mine long ago would buy those small boxes of brownie mix (like for an 8x8 pan) and bake a pan, put a can of cherry pie filling on top, put another box of brownie mix batter on top of the pie filling and bake the whole thing again and they were wonderful!  Had forgotten about that! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

My SIL made these cheesecake brownies for a family gathering this summer.  They were so delicious that I had to have her recipe made in a 9x13" baking pan:

Brownie batter:

1 cup butter

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup brown sugar

6 eggs

1 tbsp vanilla

1 3/4 cups flour

1/4 cup cocoa

3/4 tsp salt

Cheesecake batter:

16 oz cream cheese, softened

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

Brownie batter:  Stir butter and chocolate chips at 1-minute intervals in microwave at 50% power until melted.  Whisk in white and brown sugar.  Whisk in 6 eggs.  Whisk in vanilla.  Stir in flour, cocoa, and salt.

Reserve 1 cup batter for later.  Spread the rest in a 9X13" parchment-lined and greased baking pan.

Cheesecake batter:  Beat cream cheese and sugar in bowl with electric mixer.  Mix in flour.  Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Spread evenly over brownie batter.

Spoon dollops of reserved brownie batter over cheesecake batter.  Swirl back and forth with skewer.

Bake in 325 degree oven until top is shiny, about 45 minutes.  Test for doneness when thermometer placed in center of brownies reads 165 degrees.  Refrigerate overnight. 

Honored Contributor

YUM!  So many good suggestions and recipes here...thank you all!  I will just add a different twist....fix your favorite brownie mix in square pan, 8x8"or 9".  While baking, take one box of Andes Mints and remove each wrapper.  When brownies are done baking, place each Andes mint on top.  They will quickly begin to soften so spread like frosting.  Let cool and cut.  By the way the tip for cutting with plastic knife does work!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@cindyNC 

agree. I buy the big boxes from Costco to make during the Holidays .  Sometimes, I add peanut butter or carmel .