Respected Contributor

Looking for a foolproof brownie recipe. Even if it is a boxed one that are soft and moist I would appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

I just saw this on youtube . With a boxed brownie mix for it to taste like homemade make the following changes.   Change the water to milk or coffee creamer, instead of 2 eggs use 3,instead of oil  use butter or one half oil and one half butter. Bake at the least time it says on the box or they will come out dry. The toothpick should come out with some crumbs not totally dry. 

Honored Contributor

Ghiradelli for a mix, not sure if they are still around

from scratch the Hershey brownie it's on the cocoa tin 

Respected Contributor

The absolute best brownies I have ever made were Hepburn Brownies.  It is a recipe that Katherine Hepburn gave to McCall's magazine years ago.  I think it was McCall's   

Anyway, they only use a very small amount of flour and they are incredibly moist and fudgey!  

If you search on the internet the recipe is readily available.  Sorry I do not have time this morning to type it and I do not think I can post a link to it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Brownie Recipe

[ Edited ]

Here is the Hepburn recipe about which another poster mentioned.  Personally, I've never had a box mix that I didn't think tasted flat and artificial.  Conversely, I've never had a homemade brownie I thought was that great either.  I am going to try these Hepburn brownies today!

ETA:  As an aside, I screenshot this recipe from the PBS website, which had an article about her.  She and her brother supposedly perfected the recipe, and the original recipe called for cocoa.  

Also, I read many years ago to cut brownies with a plastic knife like you get at a fast food restaurant, and brownies will cut cleanly when you do this.  IT WORKS!

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 7.10.44 AM.png

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14  - this is my Grandmother's recipe.  I have never had it fail and it always gets rave reviews.  It looks very similar ingredient wise to the Hepburn one

Chocolate Brownies

1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter

2 squares unsweetened chocolate

1 cup sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick butter and 2 squares unsweetened chocolate. Remove pan from heat. Let cool.

2. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.

3. In bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar then chocolate mixture and blend.

4. Add flour mixture and vanilla. Add nuts if using. Mix well.

5. Bake the brownies in a greased and floured 8-inch-square pan at 350°F for about 25 minutes.

ETA - I use a big spoon not an electric mixer. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix is a favorite of my family. They are rich, soft, and moist. My "brownie" pan is slightly smaller than the recommended size. It is the only pan I have ever used to make brownies. (Follow directions for chewy, fudge brownies; do not make cake style. Do not overcook.)  

Sometimes I make the icing I use for chocolate cake to put on them. At other times we eat them plain.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone. A friend of my Dad loves brownies so I will absolutely try a few of these in the next few weeks.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties thank you for mentioning the Hepburn recipe, i had not heard about this and thank you @Houstonoilers for the link to the recipe. It seems very easy. Im going to try this out.