Respected Contributor

Re: Broccoli ''cleaning'' ???

I couldn’t stop laughing. Do you really think restaurants are going through all this trouble? I think this is a hoax.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

😲........I love the stuff.......and I did look it up. YUK

eta - well I boil it so the worms will be clean then.....or disease free.....and dead.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I have been eating broccoli for quite some time...and

never,

never,

in the history of ever

have I ever seen a worm in my broccoli. 

Me thinks someone is trying r.e.a.l.l.y hard to justify

not wanting to eat produce. 

@sidsmom Gosh!  Can you even imagine someone trying to scare people out of eating something they love?  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Now that summer corn on the cob is coming in............I always break off the pointed end of the cob before cooking.  I've found more than one worm hidden in there over the years.   Just SNAP it and TRASH it.................................

@fthunt  They don't bother me.  I snap or pick them off.  I figure if the worms won't bother with it, neither will I!  LOTS of corn grown in fields has them unless you really spray them. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum,

As someone who grew broccoli in my garden for years, I assure you and anyone else who doesn’t believe this thread, that homegrown broccoli is the perfect surface for white butterflies and moths to lay their eggs on.   I would have to harvest broccoli early in the a.m., spend the rest of the day soaking it in multiple salt waters until the worms were gone, before cooking for supper.   

It became such an ordeal to clean the broccoli, I decided it just wasn’t worth growing it, and started buying 5 lb bags of frozen florets.   

Valued Contributor

Cooking would kill all the bacteria and germs. 

Trusted Contributor

No joke, this is a true story.

When I was a kid, 50+ years ago, my mother cooked broccoli for dinner.  This was in the stone ages before there was "organic" produce available in the grocery stores.  This was store bought broccoli from the produce isle.

Now, my mother didn't separate the broccoli into small florets, she cut it into big pieces and steamed it in a steam basket on the stove.

So, I ate half of my portion and looked down and saw HALF of a big fat catepillar nestled in my piece of broccoli.  I had already eaten the other half of the catepillar!  I was horrified but my mother just rolled her eyes.  LOL.

Put me off of brocolli for a very long time.

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum    I don't understand what you think is a ''hoax''.    Yes, bugs get in food, broccoli too.  Google is your friend.  One other thing - I never said anything about restaurants either washing or not washing broccoli...but I'd be willing to bet that they don't.  After you see the photo of the worms that come out of the broccoli, I think it will help you stop laughing.  Enjoy your broccoli !!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   The point on my original post was certainly not to ''scare'' people out of eating broccoli - but instead, to inform them of the necessity of thorough washing it before eating it....unless you have a taste for worms and prefer not to - no scare tactics, just knowledge. Enjoy your broccoli !!

Honored Contributor

I have never been a fan of broccoli florets because I don't like the "mouth feel" of them but I like the peeled stems.  Now I have a good excuse not to eat it!