Honored Contributor

Re: Broccoli ''cleaning'' ???

I wonder if cauliflower should be soaked in the same way as broccoli?

Respected Contributor

@haddon9   Good question !!!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I wonder if cauliflower should be soaked in the same way as broccoli?

Yes, according to an article I read.  Cabbage butterflies (or moths) lay eggs in cauliflower and cabbage as well as broccoli.  Of course, it's mainly an issue with organically-grown produce.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Well I just soaked my broccoli and there was nothing in the water. No worms.

But did you add anything to the water to flush them out, like salt and vinegar?  And was it organic broccoli?

@ValuSkr  No and no. I just ate it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Now that summer corn on the cob is coming in............I always break off the pointed end of the cob before cooking.  I've found more than one worm hidden in there over the years.   Just SNAP it and TRASH it.................................

Trusted Contributor

Yep, the little worms float to the top of the water when you soak the Brocolli, my husband says no big deal, but I haven't ate any since !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Homegrown broccoli is the worst; never have found a worm in store bought broccoli.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop I did - - once.  Probably missed a few others over the years.  Store bought - veggie country stand.............I don't see the difference. 

Esteemed Contributor

I recommend buying frozen.  Tastes very fresh.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

Here in WV, veggies bought at farmers markets and flea markets are picked hours before they are sold.   There is no real cleansing/washing involved.

Grocery store produce has been through true cleansing washes, prior to packaging.   Depending on where and what produce my trucker daughter hauls from west coast to east coast, she has at times been able to watch part of the process prior to the food being boxed, and loaded in her truck.   

The last broccoli grown here was so full of green worms, I was never confident it was worm free.   I only buy bags of frozen florets.