Contributor

Re: Broccoli ''cleaning'' ???

This is true of fresh fish too. I buy my fish from a well known specialty market. One day I cleaned the fish , well rinsed it as they do a good job cleaning the fish. I had some mountain trout. I seasoned my fish and let it sit a bit. I went back to fry and a worm was coming out one of the fish!! I was so freaked out I threw them all away. Next time I went back to the market I told them about the worm. I was told this is not uncommon at all because fish eat anything in the ocean and of course worms. He told me the salt brought out the worm. So after months of not eating fresh fish I got the urge. I now salt my fish and let it sit well before cooking to ensure no pests exist.

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda  I have also grown broccoli for many years, just as @RedTop . Near the end of the growing season, you will certainly find what we call cabbage worms. You just have to pick them off or just nuke the broccoli to get rid of them. My daughter had the unfortunate experience that @River Song had when she was about 5 yrs. She is 35 now and grows her own broccoli and laughs about it. Those cute little white "cabbage butterflies" are responsible for the worms. If you don't want them, you have to cover all your curciferous veggies and kale,etc. with netting for about 3 weeks when they are laying eggs. 

Honored Contributor

@Flashgordon22 wrote:

This is true of fresh fish too. I buy my fish from a well known specialty market. One day I cleaned the fish , well rinsed it as they do a good job cleaning the fish. I had some mountain trout. I seasoned my fish and let it sit a bit. I went back to fry and a worm was coming out one of the fish!! I was so freaked out I threw them all away. Next time I went back to the market I told them about the worm. I was told this is not uncommon at all because fish eat anything in the ocean and of course worms. He told me the salt brought out the worm. So after months of not eating fresh fish I got the urge. I now salt my fish and let it sit well before cooking to ensure no pests exist.

@Flashgordon22  The same thing happened to me. I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Honored Contributor

I buy my fish at a very upscale market and pay top dollar.  I have never had worms in my fish.

Honored Contributor

Worms are also found in the fish filets at Captain D’s and Long John Silvers.   It is the responsibility of the fry cook to find and remove them before battering, and frying the fish.   

My teacher daughter dated a boy who worked at LJS in high school, and was the weekend fry cook.   He told us all about the worms in the fish.

Valued Contributor

Broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens, melons, potatoes, berries and other produce without a smooth or soft surface are slightly more difficult to clean. They require a soaking in a 1 to 3 vinegar and water mixture. This ensures the acidic blend kills all bacteria. For heads of cabbage or other greens, you will need to separate the individual leaves for thorough cleaning. This can be a bit impractical at times, but if you use your sink as the container for the water and vinegar mixture, you should have plenty of room. After their soak, scrub the vegetables with a brush and rinse them under running water.

Source Heathyeatingsfgate

Respected Contributor

Wonder if  restaurants wash/soak their fresh veggies? 

Trusted Contributor

@MorningLover    I would ''love to think so''....but I have my doubts.  You don't ever know for sure what you are eating - unless you prepare it at home your self .  I've been doing a lot of that recently !!!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I think that is more of a problem with organic vegetables because they have not been sprayed.  

Organic vegetables are often sprayed but the pesticides used are less harmful than the ones used on non organic produce.

Honored Contributor

Everything I know about restaurant food prep comes from family and friends who have worked as cooks and servers.  

All have said everything comes packaged, pre-made, or frozen.   Their salad greens are in a bag; they open the bag, dump in a bowl and add other ingredients.  No washing.  Cheese and tomatoes are added when plated.   Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, squash, are all pre-packaged products.   Meatloaf at the famous country restaurant arrives in a 5 lb roll, is flattened in a pan, covered in ketchup and baked.   Their hash brown casserole also comes prepared and is just popped in the oven.   The brown beans are from a can.