Super Contributor

Brining a Natural Turkey, rinse or not?

I purchased an all Natural turkey with no added flavorings and intend to brine using the Pioneer Womans brining recipe with Maple syrup.   Her instructions say to brine 8 - 12 hours so I'll put in the night before cooking.  She does not say to rinse after brining.   My question is, I thought you must alway rinse after brining or the turkey will be salty.  Any advise?

Respected Contributor

Re: Brining a Natural Turkey, rinse or not?

Google is your friendSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this your recipe?   Maple-Whiskey Turkey

If so, the recipe reads online:  "Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse it thoroughly again inside and out. Soak the turkey in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse again and pat dry. . ."

There is also a video at foodnetwork<dot>com/recipes/ree-drummond/maple-whiskey-turkey

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Edited to correct typo.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

I say no, DH says yes.

we have this same go around every time.

Respected Contributor

When it’s time to pull turkey from brine put it in cold water bath for 10 to 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the brine. Pull it out of the clean water, pat dry and proceed.

Happy thanksgiving and enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure you would rinse it with cold water,  let it sit in cold water for 15 minutes or so and then rinse with cold water again.  

Super Contributor

Thanks all -  I think I'll rinse  ...  I would rather it be less salty than more salty.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The insided of a turkey are never cleaned enough for me.  I wouldn't skip rinsing-ever unless it was flavored, like a spiral cut brown sugar ham.  The hams are pre cooked.