Honored Contributor

Does anyone have a great recipe for one that isn't tooo sweet and has lots of seeds or nuts and raisins that is also a little spiced?i buy some at Whole Foods bakery and I love the flavor but haven't found any recipe similar.

Trusted Contributor
Spoiler
If you google "the view from great island" you will go to  a site by sue moran.  Search for back to school breakfast cookies and you'll get a good basic recipe that you can tweak to your taste.  Hope you enhoy them. 
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this!  

I was looking at what passed for a "breakfast bar" in a box at the grocery and thinking, yuk!

I have some dried dates, dried cranberries and a variety of nuts & oats on hand.

Honored Contributor
Thanks jtdmom that looks good and I have everything I need...will try those.
Honored Contributor

I make these from Ellie Krieger.  You can use whatever nuts, seeds, spices and dried fruit you want.  I've also added pumpkin in the fall instead of the baby food.

These freeze well, too.  And you can make them as large or small as you want.

Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients

3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup (1 small jar) strained carrot baby food
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup bran cereal flakes
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted in a dry skillet for 2 minutes, until fragrant and chopped

Directions

Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Combine butter, oil and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on high speed, scraping down sides if necessary, until sugars have dissolved and mixture is light in color, about 1 minute. Add egg, carrot puree and vanilla and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add flour mixture and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add oats, flakes, raisins and walnuts and mix over low speed just until incorporated. Dough will be slightly sticky and less cohesive than traditional cookie dough. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using between 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter, form a ball and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, leaving about 3 inches between cookies. Wet hands and use palm of hand to flatten cookies until about 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 12 minutes, until cookies are fragrant but still soft. Let cookies cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved

© 2017 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/breakfast-cookies-recipe.print.html?oc=linkback

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

@Jtdmum just glanced at this site. Looks fantastic. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting!  Mine are in the oven right now Smiley Happy    Flax seeds, prunes, dates, raisins, almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, and of course some chopped dark chocolate chips!  DH is skeptical but I know he'll love them!

Valued Contributor

thanks for posting  These look awesome!