Respected Contributor

@Emmie1165   Karo Syrup's website has a praline topping using corn syrup and I'm sure there are other commercial sites, and non professional cooking sites, that have similar combinations, some using some cream, some using sugar syrup, etc.  Paula Deen's is just one variation on the praline theme.

I didn't do an exhaustive search but I bet there is a recipe from the UK that would use what I believe they call Golden Syrup that is used in a lot of their sweet recipes.

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

The only one I have is a healthy option. Not sure if you are interested but I'll post it.

Healthy Breakfast Casserole, Delicious & Easy to Make

Ingredients 1 Small to Medium Sized Zucchini Squash 1 Small White or Red Onion 1 Small Red and/or Yellow Bell Pepper 1 Cup of Fresh Spinach 1 Small Tomato 8-10 Eggs 1/4 Cup Milk 1/2-1 Cup Feta Cheese

Instructions Chop/Dice all the veggies (except spinach) then sauté the squash, bell pepper and onion in a tablespoon or two of olive oil. When veggies start to soften, transfer into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place approximately 1 cup of spinach into the warm pan where you just sautéed the squash, onion and bell pepper, just long enough to wilt the spinach. It will wilt down quickly. Lay the pieces of spinach all across the other veggies already in the baking dish.

Dice tomatoes and sprinkle atop the sautéed veggies and spinach. Sprinkle Feta cheese over the mixture. Whisk 8-10 eggs together with about a ¼ cup of milk. Pour over vegetable/cheese mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook at 375 for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Then turn oven onto broil and cook until top is a little brown. Notes Feel free to add or subtract vegetables according to your tastes.

Other vegetables or ingredients that can be added are mushrooms, broccoli, ham, sausage, bacon, etc... If you add those ingredients in addition to the ones already included in this recipe, you'll probably need to add another egg or two, as well.

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I made it this morning. Last week, I went a little overboard buying fresh veggies at local farmer's market. I had a bunch of veggies to use up before they go bad so I made this recipe. It turned out great! I did keep it just veggies with the feta cheese since I'm trying to eat more meat-less meals. 

Respected Contributor

@matty liz  Try this one.  Made it Sunday and it was delicious.  Originally posted by @Qwalker.

BLUEBERRY Croissant Puff

3 large croissants, cut up (about 5-5 1/2 cups)

1 cup fresh or frozen BLUEBERRIES

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place croissant pieces in a 9" square pan. Sprinkle with BLUEBERRIES.  Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add milk; combine well.  Pour evenly over croissant pieces and BLUEBERRIES. Let stand 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until set in center and golden brown.  Cover with foil the last 10 minutes if tops are getting too brown.  Serve warm sprinkled with powdered sugar.

(Recipe easy to double and put in 9x13" pan.)

Esteemed Contributor

I needed a breakfast potluck item for work where I knew some people are on the Keto diet and a couple need gluten free.  I found this recipe at a website called WholesomeYum.  It turned out pretty good without any leftovers.  I've made it a few times and taken some shortcuts like using frozen broccoli that I've cooked in the microwave or using milk instead of heavy cream.  And I've added cauliflower and tomatoes.  You can sub other veggies, just be sure to cook them first and pat away any moisture before adding to casserole dish after the sausage.  I found that I needed a larger dish and just kept an eye on it to determine baking time, making sure eggs cooked throughout.

* 1 lb breakfast sausage
* 6 cloves garlic (minced)
* 12 large eggs
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 2 cups cheddar cheese (divided)
* 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 3 cups broccoli (optional - cut into florets if using)

1. In a greased skillet over medium-high heat, cook the minced garlic for about one minute, until fragrant.
 (I used a little olive oil.)
2. Add the breakfast sausage. Cook for about 10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned.

3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

4. If using broccoli (or other veggies), blanch them in boiling water for about 5-7 minutes, until crisp tender. Then plunge into an ice bath to stop cooking, drain and pat dry.

5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, half of the cheddar cheese, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.

6. Grease the bottom of a glass or ceramic 8x8 in (20x20 cm) or 9x9 in (23x23 cm) casserole dish. Arrange the crumbled sausage evenly at the bottom of the casserole dish. (If you want to add any pre-cooked vegetables to your casserole, mix them with the sausage at this step.)

7. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.

8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the eggs are set and cheese is melted.