Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breakfast casserole

[ Edited ]

This is somewhat similar to another recipe posted here, but it's the most-requested savory breakfast casserole of my brunch group and my family frequently enjoys it on Christmas morning:

Classic Breakfast Casserole

8-9 frozen hash brown patties
1/2 C butter or margarine, melted
1 C cubed cooked ham (if using packaged ham, drain well)*
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C shredded Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
8 eggs
2 C 2% or whole milk (or half-and-half)
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Place hash brown patties in a 9x13" pan (you may have to cut a couple of them to completely cover the bottom). Pour melted butter evenly over patties. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle ham and cheeses over patties. In a medium bowl, beat eggs; add milk and salt and whisk well. Pour mixture over cheeses. Return to oven (remember the pan is hot!) and bake 45 minutes more or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 9-12 servings, depending on how large you slice the individual rectangles/squares.

*Variation: Replace the cubed ham with the same amount of crumbled, cooked, and drained breakfast sausage; best with 2 C cheddar instead of cheddar/Swiss/Jack.

Esteemed Contributor

This delightful sweet breakfast casserole comes from America's Test Kitchen:

French Toast Casserole

1 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
18 slices potato sandwich bread*
6 Tbsp butter, melted
2 1/2 C whole milk
6 large eggs
1/4 C sliced almonds, toasted (optional)

Confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13" baking dish with softened butter.

Whisk brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a small bowl. Sprinkle 3 Tbsp of sugar mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared dish. Arrange 6 bread slices (use heels here) over the mixture. Brush bread with 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of the sugar mixture.

Place 6 bread slices in a single layer over the first layer, brush with 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter, and then sprinkle with 3 Tbsp sugar mixture. Place remaining 6 bread slices over previous layer and brush with 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter.

In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs until well combined. Pour milk mixture over bread and press lightly to submerge. Sprinkle with almonds, if using, and remaining heaping 3 Tbsp of sugar mixture.

Bake until the casserole is slightly puffed and golden and bubbling around edges, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, brush with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter, and let cool for 15 minutes. Dust with  confectioners’ sugar, if desired, and serve with maple syrup (or other syrup of choice). Makes 8 servings.

To make ahead: The assembled casserole, minus almonds and final heaping 3 Tbsp of sugar mixture, can be covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours. When ready to cook, sprinkle with almonds and sugar mixture and bake as directed.

*Most storebought potato bread has 16 slices per loaf, so you’ll need to buy two loaves. Depending on the brand, it may also be necessary to trim the slices to fit six of them in a single layer in the pan.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@matty liz   Here is one that is always a hit when I serve it.  It is definitely not low calorie but is great for a special occasion.  I also like the fact that it is assembled the night before so that all I have to do the next morning is preheat the oven and pop it in to bake.

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup

by Paula Deen  Food Network Website

Serves 6 to 8

1 13 to 16 oz. loaf of French bread

8 large eggs

2 cups half-and-half

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

dash of salt

enough butter to grease a casserole dish

Praline topping

Maple syrup

Slice bread into 20 1-inch slices.  Arrange them in a generously buttered 9 X 13 inch flat bottomed casserole dish in two rows, overlapping them.  In a large bowl combine eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until well blended but not bubbly.  Pour mixture over the bread slices, covering evenly.  Spoon some of it in between the slices.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Praline Topping

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

2 Tbsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Combine all these ingredients and mix thoroughly.

The next morning preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Pour the praline topping (recipe below) on the bread mixture. Bake 40 minutes until puffed and lightly golden.  Serve with real maple syrup on the side.

A mixed fruit medley with mint sprigs is a nice pairing with this.

I usually also offer scrambled eggs and sausages and bacon in a chafing dish with this.  And, of course, Mimosas and Virgin Mimosas are lovely with this.

@aroc3435 

This recipe has been a hit ever since I first made it.  I have even had men ask me for the recipe.   It is a sweet offering and if the OP is up to it, she may want to try a sweet and a savory option of breakfast casseroles.  If not, she may want to offer some bacon, sausage, or ham sides as well as a fruit salad.  Of course some mimosas and/or bloody mary's would be a great compliment!

Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb 

Thanks for posting this recipe.  I have it but have neglected making because I am not confident in my expertise making hollandaise and also have not tried the Knorr.  I'm glad to read your results making your own vs. the Knorr.  

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady   I know and this Paula Deen recipe has got to be at least ten years old or more.  It's in my category of never fail recipes.  I brought it in for a "welcome to the new manager" breakfast reception at work and he asked me for the recipe.

For that event I increased the recipe size successfully and made it in my 18 qt. Nesco roaster.  Still love that thing and won't part with it.

The "food events" at work are one of the very few things I miss since I happily retired in 2017.Smiley Happy

Have a happy Friday as you glide into the weekend.  May there be mimosas or whatever your favorite is in your near future!

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

I just made one to take to my Mom this morning.   I grated one large potato into a hot skillet, with butter, add salt, pepper, chopped onion and green peppers, cook until onions are soft and potatoes are a little brown.   I added the meat, which today was leftover ham.   Poured into a greased pie plate, covered with 5 beaten eggs with 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk, topped with grated cheese.   Baked 20 minutes at 375.   

Trusted Contributor

I made this for a breakfast of my church's women's group.  It was well received with several ladies asking for the recipe.  It's also a colorful dish!  I found the recipe on the You Tube channel of 'Cooking for Fun'.

Mexican Breakfast Casserole                            

Ingredients 
1 medium onion finely chopped 
1 small green pepper chopped 
1/2-1 lb ground meat, depends on how much meat you want  (I have made with ground turkey, Jimmy Dean Italian Breakfasr Sausage and ground beef)
1 TBS taco seasoning 
One big bag of Tortilla chips 

Mexican blend cheese
1/4-1/2 cup chopped green onion 

Diced fresh tomatoes (I cut cherry tomatoes in half)
1/4- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4-1’2 cup salsa verde, optional (I consider this a necessity) 
8-10 eggs
1½ cup milk
Hot sauce to taste (I also added a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce)

Salt and black pepper to taste
Oil 

Steps:
1- Heat a little oil, about 3 TBS, in a large pan under medium flame; then add onion and green pepper and cook until onion is translucent and pepper is soft. 

2- Add ground beef and cook until the meat turns brown; then add taco spices and cook for a few seconds, then turn the heat off.

3- Brush a big casserole with oil.  Place some chips in one layer, then top it with half of the amount of the ground meat mixture. 

4- Top with Mexican blend cheese, some green onion, tomatoes, cilantro and salsa verde.

5- Repeat steps 3 and 4.

6- Mix eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and black pepper (+couple of shakes of W Sauce and pour mixture over all. 

7- Bake at 350° F for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until eggs are cooked and set.

8- Servimg suggestion:  Dollop with sour cream and more salsa verde or salsa roja 
Enjoy! 

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I just made one to take to my Mom this morning.   I grated one large potato into a hot skillet, with butter, add salt, pepper, chopped onion and green peppers, cook until onions are soft and potatoes are a little brown.   I added the meat, which today was leftover ham.   Poured into a greased pie plate, covered with 5 beaten eggs with 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk, topped with grated cheese.   Baked 20 minutes at 375.   

@RedTop 

So glad you posted thiis dish that you made for your mom.  I very much like breakfast casseroles but never make them unless they're for a group of people. I live alone so the servings of your dish will be perfect for me. I have saved your recipe to my files as "breakfast 'pie' casserole".Smiley Wink.

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze,

I am happy my recipe will be helpful to you.

My Mom is 85 and has dementia; her cooking ability is just about gone.   She tells me she eats, but I don’t always believe that.  Whatever food I take to her, is always eaten, and this egg pie as she calls it, is a favorite, and one she will specifically ask for.   It is not unusual for her to eat her egg pie within 2 days.

Frequent Contributor

This recipe looks remarkably similar to the one David just made in Los Angeles.  Right down to the corn syrup in the topping.  I wonder if he credited Paula Deen?