Valued Contributor

Need a good, easy breakfast cas

Honored Contributor

Re: Breakfast casserole

[ Edited ]

The only one I have is a healthy option. Not sure if you are interested but I'll post it.

Healthy Breakfast Casserole, Delicious & Easy to Make

Ingredients 1 Small to Medium Sized Zucchini Squash 1 Small White or Red Onion 1 Small Red and/or Yellow Bell Pepper 1 Cup of Fresh Spinach 1 Small Tomato 8-10 Eggs 1/4 Cup Milk 1/2-1 Cup Feta Cheese

Instructions Chop/Dice all the veggies (except spinach) then sauté the squash, bell pepper and onion in a tablespoon or two of olive oil. When veggies start to soften, transfer into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place approximately 1 cup of spinach into the warm pan where you just sautéed the squash, onion and bell pepper, just long enough to wilt the spinach. It will wilt down quickly. Lay the pieces of spinach all across the other veggies already in the baking dish.

Dice tomatoes and sprinkle atop the sautéed veggies and spinach. Sprinkle Feta cheese over the mixture. Whisk 8-10 eggs together with about a ¼ cup of milk. Pour over vegetable/cheese mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook at 375 for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Then turn oven onto broil and cook until top is a little brown. Notes Feel free to add or subtract vegetables according to your tastes.

Other vegetables or ingredients that can be added are mushrooms, broccoli, ham, sausage, bacon, etc... If you add those ingredients in addition to the ones already included in this recipe, you'll probably need to add another egg or two, as well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@matty liz   Here is one that is always a hit when I serve it.  It is definitely not low calorie but is great for a special occasion.  I also like the fact that it is assembled the night before so that all I have to do the next morning is preheat the oven and pop it in to bake.

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup

by Paula Deen  Food Network Website

Serves 6 to 8

1 13 to 16 oz. loaf of French bread

8 large eggs

2 cups half-and-half

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

dash of salt

enough butter to grease a casserole dish

Praline topping

Maple syrup

Slice bread into 20 1-inch slices.  Arrange them in a generously buttered 9 X 13 inch flat bottomed casserole dish in two rows, overlapping them.  In a large bowl combine eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until well blended but not bubbly.  Pour mixture over the bread slices, covering evenly.  Spoon some of it in between the slices.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Praline Topping

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

2 Tbsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Combine all these ingredients and mix thoroughly.

The next morning preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Pour the praline topping (recipe below) on the bread mixture. Bake 40 minutes until puffed and lightly golden.  Serve with real maple syrup on the side.

A mixed fruit medley with mint sprigs is a nice pairing with this.

I usually also offer scrambled eggs and sausages and bacon in a chafing dish with this.  And, of course, Mimosas and Virgin Mimosas are lovely with this.

Esteemed Contributor

@matty liz - Are you looking for a savory or sweet casserole? Any other preferences for types of ingredients? I make a ton of different breakfast casseroles to bring to the office and my brunch group, so point me in the right direction and I'll share a few.  Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

I'm good with savory or sweet.  You guys are so good!  Love the two suggested, thanks

Honored Contributor

A family favorite ...easy to make in larger dish which I noted in ( ).    

Farmer's Casserole

3 cups frozen shredded hash browns (9x13.....4 1/2 cups)

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (9x13...1 cup+)

1 cup diced ham (9x13....1 1/2 cups)

1/4 cup sliced green onions (9x13.....1/2 cup)

1 12oz can Evaporated Milk (9x13...1 and 1/2 cans....I find 

regular size cans and small cans at store)

4 beaten eggs (9x13.....6 eggs)

1/4 teaspoon pepper (9x13.....litle more)

1/8 teaspoon salt  (9x13.....little more)

Let potatoes thaw at least 30 minutes.  Grease a 2 quart square baking dish (or 9x13 dish).  Arrange potatoes evenly on bottom.  Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onions.  Mix together eggs, milk, pepper and salt.  Pour over potato mixture in dish.  (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight.)

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes (60 minutes if made ahead and chilled) until the center is set.  Let stand 5 minutes. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my go to.

12 eggs

1 package (24 oz)hash browns

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

8 oz shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup milk

bacon or ham ( I use 1 lb bacon cooked & cut into small pieces

cooking spray

combine potatoes,bacon & cheese.Put this in 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam cooking spray.Mash down with back of a large spoon.In another bowl whisk eggs ,milk,salt & pepper.Pour over potato mixture & pat down again with back of spoon.Bake 1 hour at 350  degrees until center set & edges are golden brown. Have made it the night before & put in oven in AM

Valued Contributor

Am going to make all of them but  I think this sounds simple and I'll do this first.  So many things.  I KNEW YOU ALL WOULD COME THROUGH

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a couple of my favorites from allrecipes:

Apple Raisin French Toast Strata:

www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24132/apple-raisin-french-toast-strata/

Hint gleaned from others - soften and spread cream cheese on bread, THEN cube the bread.

Eggs Benedict Casserole:

www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221988/eggs-benedict-casserole/

Not as good as Eggs Benedict, but the next best thing!  I leave out the green onions; and you can make your own hollandaise if you prefer.  (I've tried several times and Knorr's package was better. LOL)

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@matty liz  I make this the night before and bake it off the morning of:

I like to make this  for large family breakfasts on Thanksgiving weekend or Christmas morning. It is so savory and satisfying, it's worth the effort!

Ingredients:

1 cup onion – diced
3/4 cup scallion - sliced
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
2 red peppers – diced
1 green pepper - diced
2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (about 8-10 ounces)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 eggs - well beaten
3 cups milk
2 Tblsp. Mustard
1 loaf of Italian bread from supermarket bakery (about 1 lb.) - cut into cubes
3 Tblsp. olive oil
Tabasco to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large skillet cook the onion, the scallion, and the mushrooms in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the bell peppers and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the liquid the mushrooms gives off is evaporated and the peppers are tender. Arrange half the bread cubes in a buttered large shallow (4 1/2-quart) baking dish, spread half the vegetable mixture over them, and sprinkle half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan over the vegetables. Arrange the remaining bread cubes over the cheese, top them with the remaining vegetables, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the milk, the mustard, the Tabasco, and salt & pepper to taste, Remember that the cheese has salt in it, so go easy on the salt. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the strata, and chill the strata, covered, overnight. Let the strata stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and bake it, uncovered, in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is puffed and golden and cooked through .You may want to put a shallow pan or tin foil under the casserole to catch the spillage. If the top gets too dark, just cover it lightly with foil. Note: You could also add cooked Italian sausage to this recipe. Make sure you render all the fat when you fry it up. Bacon works too.