Valued Contributor

Breakfast casserole for Easter

I was asked to bring one for a potluck next Sunday. My husband & I aren’t big breakfast eaters so I haven’t made one. Do any of you have a favorite easy recipe that you might share? This is a wonderful resource for recipes and everyone is so kind. Only forum on Q boards I’ll post on anymore. TIA
Respected Contributor

Re: Breakfast casserole for Easter

This is the recipe I have used for years and my family loves it.  I make it the night before and let it set overnight in the fridge.  Bake it off in the morning.  Delicious!

How to Make It

Preheat oven to 325° F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9- x 13- x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

Note: Casserole may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Happy to share this one for you.....very easy and very good!  This recipe is for a 2 quart baking dish.  You can easily double it for a larger dish to serve more people.

It can also be made ahead.

Farmer's Casserole

3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (thaw a bit)

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup diced ham

1/4 cup sliced green onions

4 beaten eggs

1  12oz can evaporated milk

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon salt

Grease 2 quart square baking dish.  Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of dish.  Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onions.

Mix together the eggs, milk, pepper and salt.  Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.  (At this point, you can cover and refrigerate it for several hours or overnight.)

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until center is set.  If made ahead of time and refrigerated, 45-60 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes and serve.

Super Contributor

12 slices white bread

3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese sliced

1 -10oz pkg frozen shopped brocalli cooked and dranined

2 cups finely diced ham

6 slightly beaten eggs

3 1/2 cups milk 

2T instant minced onions

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dry mustard

shredded cheese for the top (the last 5 min)

Cut 12 doughnuts and holes from the bread and set a side.

Fit the scraps of bread in the bottom of a 9x13 dish.Layer cheese, brocalli and ham.Sprinkle onion on top. Arrange doughnuts and holes on top. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over the bread. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 325 degrees. The recipe says for 55 min but experience tells me it will take 1 1/4-1 3/4 hours. Sprinkle cheese the last 5 min. Let stand 10 min. Can be cut in squares.

Esteemed Contributor

@HB glamma  This isn't the easiest casserole,because ther is a lot of prep work, but everyone LOVES it!

Vegetable Cheese Strata

(assemble the night before)

Ingredients:

1 cup onion – diced
3/4 cup scallion - sliced
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
2 red peppers – diced
1 green pepper - diced
2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (about 8-10 ounces) Make sure to use the best and grate your own. Don't buy pre shredded.
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 eggs - well beaten
3 cups milk
2 Tblsp. Mustard
1 loaf of Italian bread from supermarket bakery (about 1 lb.) - cut into cubes
3 Tblsp. olive oil
Tabasco to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large skillet cook the onion, the scallion, and the mushrooms in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the bell peppers and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all the liquid the mushrooms gives off is evaporated and the peppers are tender. Arrange half the bread cubes in a buttered large shallow (4 1/2-quart) baking dish, spread half the vegetable mixture over them, and sprinkle half the Cheddar and half the Parmesan over the vegetables. Arrange the remaining bread cubes over the cheese, top them with the remaining vegetables, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, the milk, the mustard, the Tabasco, and salt & pepper to taste, Remember that the cheese has salt in it, so go easy on the salt. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the strata, and chill the strata, covered, overnight. Let the strata stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and bake it, uncovered, in the middle of a preheated 350 F oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is puffed and golden and cooked through .You may want to put a shallow pan or tin foil under the casserole to catch the spillage. If the top gets too dark, just cover it lightly with foil. Note: You could also add cooked Italian sausage to this recipe. Make sure you render all the fat when you fry it up. Bacon works too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties @HB glamma   That is almost the exact recipe that my MIL used to make and now I make.  It's so delicious, except I add a little Worcestershire sauce and don't add the mushrooms or tomato, or green onion (although I might add the onion now, sounds good).  

Now that I live by myself and go to families for Thanksgiving, I usually try to make a big batch of the breakfast souffle and potatoes and take leftovers for both of my sons to take back to their homes. 

She used to serve it with cut up fresh fruit (usually bananas and oranges), and the potato casserole that I believe uses slightly cooked potatoes cut into small squares, can of cream of chicken soup, milk, onions and maybe cheese.... I have been known to crush corn flakes and slightly mix with butter and put on top of the potatoes....so yummy.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

While many recipes are 'egg' style breakfast casseroles, this one is different, easy and very delicious.  You will get many compliments on it and be prepared to be asked for the recipe.

BRUNCH “BLINTZ” CASSEROLE

Topping for the casserole

About a ¼ cup of sugar mixed with cinnamon to sprinkle on top of casserole

Directions

Beat cream cheese, ricotta cheese, 2 of the eggs, 1/4 cup of the sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth; set aside.

Stir flour, melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, milk and baking powder in separate large bowl; whisk until smooth.

Pour 1/2 of the flour mixture into greased 13x9-inch baking dish

Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over flour mixture.

Gently spoon remaining flour mixture over top.

Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the cinnamon/sugar mixture

Bake at 325°F for 45 minutes or until set.

Cut into squares.

Heat a can of Blueberry Comstock Pie Filling and either spread on top of cooled casserole or serve on the side to be spooned over the top of each square.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

I know this isn't a casserole, but go to King Arthur Flour Recipes, & search for "Bacon-Cheddar Chive Scones". I haven't made them, but they sound SO GOOD! 

Look at that photo.....YUM! The recipe has really great reviews, too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Overnight Biscuits and Gravy CasseroleServes Serves 9-10    

Ingredients For the sausage gravy
  • 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage, hot or mild
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1 and 1/2 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
For the egg mixture
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 can Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium-low. When the sausage is cooked and no longer pink, sprinkle half of the 1/3 cup flour on the sausage and stir until it is absorbed. Add the rest a little at a time, and stir until all the flour is soaked up. Stir for 1 more minute to get the flour taste out.
  3. Turn the heat to medium. Pour in the milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring to thicken it up each time.
  4. Once you have added all the milk, continue stirring for another 10-12 minutes until the gravy has thickened up some.
  5. Add 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt and 1 and 1/2 to 2 teaspoons pepper.
  6. Meanwhile, mix together the eggs. Break the eggs into a large bowl or stand mixer and whisk. Add 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 teaspoons seasoning salt, mustard, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.*
  7. Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Open the can of biscuits and separate all the biscuits. Use scissors to cut each biscuit into 4 pieces.
  8. Drop the quartered biscuits onto the prepared pan and spread them out evenly.
  9. Pour the egg mixture over the biscuits.
  10. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
  11. Pour the gravy over the cheese and spread it out.
  12. (At this point you can cover tightly and refrigerate overnight).
  13. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 38-45 minutes if you are making is right away.
  14. If you have just taken it out of the fridge, cover with aluminum foil.
  15. There is no need to preheat the oven first. Just put it in the oven and turn it on to 350 degrees.
  16. Bake for about 30 minutes, then remove the foil. Continue baking for another 15-30 minutes, or until the biscuits have browned and the sauce is bubbly. (45-60 minutes total if it's been in the fridge overnight).

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This breakfast casserole is so good and smells heavenly while it's baking,  From reading ciaobella's blueberry blintz casserole, I will also add a splash of lemon juice and some lemon zest in this recoe the next time I make it.

Blueberry Breakfast Bake with Maple Syrup

This isn't a typical breakfast bake! Blueberries and pure maple syrup add a tasty twist, making it perfect for brunch or any gathering.

Source:Tablespoon.com     Prep15 MIN    Total 9 HR 15 MIN    Servings12

Ingredients

16 slices of bread (thicker sliced bread works well)

8 oz cream cheese

1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries, more if desired (thaw if frozen)

12 eggs

2 cups milk

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

salt and pepper to taste

extra pure maple syrup, warmed, for serving

Blueberry Sauce (see recipe in Step 6 below)

fresh fruit for garnish (raspberries, strawberries)

Steps

1. Spray 9x13 glass baking pan with cooking spray [DB-T prefers smearing with butter].
  2. Remove crusts from bread. Cut slices into 1-inch cubes. (Tip: An electric knife works well to cut bread without squishing it.) Place cubes loosely in bottom of prepared pan.
  3. Cut cream cheese into tiny bits. Sprinkle bits over bread. Top with blueberries.
  4. In large bowl, beat eggs. Whisk in milk and syrup, blending well. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours, or overnight.
  5. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and the center is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes to set, then serve with blueberry sauce (see below) and warm maple syrup on the side. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries and whole fresh raspberries if desired.
  6. BLUEBERRY SAUCE: In a sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1 TBS cornstarch and 1/2 cup water. Whisk to blend well. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries; reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until berries have burst. Serve warm on the side for drizzling over the Blueberry Breakfast Bake. (Also terrific on pancakes, ice cream or pound cake!)