Respected Contributor

Boxed cake mix -18.25 oz. vs. 15.25 oz. 'old/new'

Greeting friends !  I plan to make an old recipe for a 'Fresh Orange Cake'.  The old recipe calls for the 18.25 oz box of cake mix - but now, you can only find cake mix in the box that has 15.25 oz.   Do you think I could follow the same instructions for the cake, even though there are less ounces in the box now-a-days?

Honored Contributor

Re: Boxed cake mix -18.25 oz. vs. 15.25 oz. 'old/new'

No because IMHO the moisture ratio would be off.  I think you'll have to figure out the percentage of the missing mix from the old weight compared to the new weight. Once you figure out what that percentage is, you could reduce that percentage (more or less) from the water, butter, eggs, etc. that will comprise the moisture.

If you decide not to do that, your cake may end up too wet....but who knows, maybe an overly moist cake might be better?  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
QVC Customer Care

@sarahpanda wrote:

Greeting friends !  I plan to make an old recipe for a 'Fresh Orange Cake'.  The old recipe calls for the 18.25 oz box of cake mix - but now, you can only find cake mix in the box that has 15.25 oz.   Do you think I could follow the same instructions for the cake, even though there are less ounces in the box now-a-days?

@sarahpanda  I'm no expert, but are you able to add flour (baking, self rising, all purpose)  to the mix to make up the difference? 

Valued Contributor

cake mix doctor says add 6 tablespoons AP flour.  i have tried this with good results.

Honored Contributor

@Melvin-QVC

Maybe but the flour added does not have the flavoring in it as the packaged mix does.  If this were being done from scratch, then I think it would be different. 

Honored Contributor

@mizree

Excellent! 

Valued Contributor

@sarahpanda - when cake mixes were first downsized there was lots of discussion about this.  Someone said they bought one of those small one layer size cake mixes and added 1/3 cup (which would be slightly less than the 6 tbsp of flour @mizree suggested).  You end up with a partial box of cake mix (at least it is small) but could probably freeze for future use.  I have not tried this "fix" but it made sense to me. 

Honored Contributor

I'd add some self-rising flour and a tsp of orange extract or grated orange rind.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could buy an extra box of cake mix to use 3 oz of it to add to your mix. You will have enough for 4 more cakes. Just divide it up & store in the freezer until you need it.

Found this online at Sun Sentinel site plus other sites online.

The recipe provided can be used for yellow or white cake mixes. For chocolate mixes, substitute 25 percent of the flour with cocoa powder. Store the cake mix add-in in a mason jar to have on hand as needed. The liquid ingredients for the mixes remain the same.

Three-Ounce Cake Mix ‘Upsizer’

Adapted from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. For white and yellow cake recipes.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Whisk all dry ingredients together and store in a clean mason jar. When you wish to increase a 15.25 ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add three ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your existing cake mix.

Makes about 6 portions.

Nutrition information per serving: 242 calories, 0% calories from fat, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol,58g carbohydrates, 34g total sugar, 34g added sugar, 3g protein, 53mg sodium, 1g fiber

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

No because IMHO the moisture ratio would be off.  I think you'll have to figure out the percentage of the missing mix from the old weight compared to the new weight. Once you figure out what that percentage is, you could reduce that percentage (more or less) from the water, butter, eggs, etc. that will comprise the moisture.

If you decide not to do that, your cake may end up too wet....but who knows, maybe an overly moist cake might be better?  Woman LOL 

When they downgraded the size of the mix, they didn't change any of the measurements for the liquid or the number of eggs needed.