Honored Contributor

Re: Boxed cake mix -18.25 oz. vs. 15.25 oz. 'old/new'

There are previous threads here on this subject with good suggestions.

Wilton has a cake mix extender recipe.  I don't know if it is the same as what was posted here.

I just buy an extra box and keep what's left in the freezer.  I only did yellow or devil's food for my cake decorating, so it was easy to keep those around.

Martha White used to make those small boxes of cake mix, but it doesn't appear they make them anymore.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Boxed cake mix -18.25 oz. vs. 15.25 oz. 'old/new'

Here is another extender recipe I found online.

This cake mix extender recipe is a tasty tool in the home baker’s arsenal. Why? Because cake mix extender adds additional ingredients to the boxed mix, which creates more batter and yields additional cupcakes and higher cake layers. Cake mix extender will also give your cakes a more homemade taste. Apparently bakers, even some professional ones (according to the folks at the Wilton Cake Forum), have been using this trick for years!

When I add cake mix extender ingredients to my boxed cake mix, I usually end up getting at least six more cupcakes. I use the large Pampered chef scoop to fill each cupcake liner. This fills the liner with about three tablespoons of batter. When making layer cakes, the additional ingredients usually give my cakes about an additional 3/4 to an inch of height.

Here are a few tips on how I flavor cakes when using the extender.

• If using a chocolate cake mix, add 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder to ensure the chocolate flavor is not diminished by the extender.
  • When using white cake mix, add almond extract.
  • When using vanilla or yellow cake mix, add vanilla extract.

Now that I’m finished explaining, here’s the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 boxed cake mix (batter prepared according to package directions)

Plus Extender ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
½ cup water
¼ cup oil
1 teaspoon extract (almond or vanilla)

Prepare the cake mix batter according to the directions on the package. Add the extender ingredients and beat until a smooth batter forms. Bake according to the directions on the package, but note that you may need to add an additional 5-10 minutes to ensure the cake is done.