Valued Contributor

Boiling eggs for deviled eggs

The worst part of serving deviled eggs for a group on Easter is the peeling of same IMO.  Does anyone peel their eggs the day before so they can toss the shells, clean up the mess, and then refrigerate the peeled eggs in frig overnight to cut and stuff on Easter?  Would think this would be ok but hoping others have ideas.  Thks!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Boiling eggs for deviled eggs

@just wonder  I usually cook and peel them the day before. No problems so far. I would think you could also mix the filling the day before as well and store it in a resealable piping bag or an air tight container. I've never tried that, but maybe someone else will have info.

Honored Contributor

I boil, peel, and keep refrigerated the day before filling.  They taste great when filled on day of serving.

Honored Contributor

Yes of course, why not?   I really don't care for the job at all and yes, it is a total mess as far as the shells go.  They are yummy though!

Respected Contributor

I cook my eggs in the instapot and they peel like a dream. For sure you can boil them the day before.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just wonder 

Yeah, it's when trying to boil and peel immediately is where I run into trouble too.  Like the others said, boiling the day before is much easier. 🐣 🥚 

Honored Contributor

I buy peeled hard boiled eggs in a pkg from my grocery store, they last a good week in the fridge. 

Esteemed Contributor

@spumoni99  The Instant Pot is the BEST way to cook hard boiled eggs. Since mine broke, I do the next best thing and steam them in a pasta pot with an insert.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cheriere wrote:

@just wonder 

Yeah, it's when trying to boil and peel immediately is where I run into trouble too.  Like the others said, boiling the day before is much easier. 🐣 🥚 

@cheriere @just wonder 

You're going to LOVE this fool proof method!

To boil easy to peel new or older eggs, put your eggs in a colander or basket with holes.

Bring water to full boil, submerge eggs.

Prepare half your sink or another large pan with ice water.

After eggs boil 15 minutes, plunge colendar into ice water bath; leave about 15 minutes.

Roll each egg on the counter pressing down slightly.

I make deviled eggs right after they're cooked.  Flavors mix much better when things are warm, not cold.

Honored Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

The worst part of serving deviled eggs for a group on Easter is the peeling of same IMO.  Does anyone peel their eggs the day before so they can toss the shells, clean up the mess, and then refrigerate the peeled eggs in frig overnight to cut and stuff on Easter?  Would think this would be ok but hoping others have ideas.  Thks!!

@just wonder.  5 min in a pressure cooker with 1 C water and they'll all come out perfect....I promise.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment