Honored Contributor

Re: Bob Bowersox's Unbelievably Good Garlic Soup

It sounds like a good thing to have when you have that first bit of sickness coming on. I might do Greek yogurt instead of the cream.

Respected Contributor

Loakimono, I frequently substitute low fat plain Greek yogurt (Fage) instead of sour cream on baked potatoes.
Regular Contributor

I wonder if this would be a good pasta sauce minus the addition of the bread??

Honored Contributor

I've made this soup every year for over 20 years. I use my Vitamix to blend the sautéed mixture and then add day old French bread slowly and blend to the consistency I want. The more bread the thicker the soup, the less bread the thinner it is. It is a delicious soup and our family loves it. I will be making it again soon. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I just remembered. I took a full crockpot of this soup to a soup and sandwich luncheon at our church last year. When I said I brought garlic soup many people said they wouldn't like it. I suggested they at least try it. Those who did loved it. It was a big hit! My crockpot was empty at the end of the luncheon.

There are always six or seven soups at the luncheon. I knew people who didn't want to try the garlic soup could choose from many other kinds. Some people tried just a small serving and then went back for more! Some even asked for the recipe.

Respected Contributor

DH & I love garlic and I wouldn't have tried this soup in a million years - until I heard all your kudos! Thanks, will have to give it a whirl!

Denise
Respected Contributor

This was the first thing I made from that book. We love it. Waving Hi to BB2. Thanks for reminding me of this one. I have company coming on Wednesday through Sunday and I am making your Baked Penne with Italian Sausage and White cheese sauce. Thanks for that one too!!! I really love that recipe.

Super Contributor

I'm enjoying the responses and ideas you all have contributed. Anika and Tiny, thanks for your excellent 'reviews'. It's nice to "see" both of you again; we have a few years behind us now, don't we?

I don't have an answer for the question about it being good as a pasta sauce, BooBoo. I'm sorry. But you could try it and give us a report. Smile

Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting this! I could just kiss you, as long as you ate some too!
Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 BooBoo2 said:

I wonder if this would be a good pasta sauce minus the addition of the bread??

I really don't know since I've never tried it as a sauce. However, it might work if you used just a small amount of bread, leaving it a thinner consistency (see post 13). If you try it let us know how it turned out.