Super Contributor

Bob Bowersox's Unbelievably Good Garlic Soup

I typed this up for my files and am sharing it here for anyone else who might be interested.

Bob Bowersox’s Unbelievably Good Garlic Soup

“My father, Don Bowersox, worked on this recipe for about eight years. At least once a month he’d have me over for a ‘garlic orgy’, featuring the soup, Caesar salad, and garlic bread. When he’d finally perfected the recipe, Mom put a halt to the orgies, saying that it took her two weeks to get the smell of garlic out of the house. But the recipes live on. If you like garlic as much as we Bowersoxes, then this soup is for you.”

2 medium onions, chopped
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 T olive oil
1 c chicken stock
1 c cream or half-and-half
Day old French bread, cut into bits
2 t paprika
1/4 t ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley, garnish

In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the sautéed mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the chicken stock and continue to blend; then add the cream and blend well. If you have an adjustable-speed processor, you might find the mixture staying smoother on a slower blending speed; you don’t want to froth the cream.

Add small bits of the French bread slowly, so that the soup begins to thicken up as the bread is incorporated into the liquid. The amount of bread you add is going to determine the thickness of your soup. If you want a thick, almost stew like consistency, add more bread. If you want a thinner soup, add less.

Once you have the texture you want, transfer the mixture to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the paprika and cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-8 min. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot. Makes 2 servings.

source: “In the Kitchen with Bob”
Bob Bowersox

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bob Bowersox's Unbelievably Good Garlic Soup

Thank you for sharing. With the weather already turning cold at night, I know we'll enjoy this over the coming months and through the winter. I'm expecially happy to have it, as I never purchased Bob's book, as I was working insane hours and don't think I ever knew he had released a book. Thanks, again.

Respected Contributor

I purchased his cookbook but never got to use it. My brother-in-law "borrowed it". We still laugh about it because that was HOW many years ago when Bob's book came out, and my BIL has had it ever since. He (BIL) is quite the cook, he's really amazing. He said Bob's cookbook is the one he has used more than any other.

Respected Contributor

As an admirer of all things garlic, I clicked onto this thread as soon as I saw it. When I looked to see who originated it, I smiled and literally said out loud, "Of course." Beebee2, you are a reliable source for good recipes. Thank you for this one. It will be on our table one day soon. --Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

I think I am in heaven! Thank you so much!!

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Super Contributor

Hello, all, Thanks for responding. I'm glad you like this recipe; I haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon. His recipe are always so flavorful, and we love lots of flavor!

Respected Contributor

Can't wait to make it!

Honored Contributor

Sounds so good! Thanks....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 10/4/2014 ical said:

Gross. Just reading his name used with the term he used for a "garlic o____" makes me lose my appetite. Why'd he pick that term, considering… Never mind.

LOL

Respected Contributor

Boy do I miss Bob. Last I heard he was doing community theater in the Florida Keys. Sounds like his lifestyle took a hit from his high earning days at QVC. Sad what QVC did to him.