Honored Contributor

Blueberry Pie Filling - do you cook the berries first?

Can anyone tell me why some blueberry pie recipes call for cooking the berries first, and others call for putting them into the pie fresh? 

If you can tell me your favorite method and pie filling recipe, I'd be very appreciative.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Blueberry Pie Filling - do you cook the berries first?

I've never read a recipie that calls for cooked fruit.  I've always put the fruit in fresh.

Honored Contributor

I like to cook my berries first and make sure the filling is sweetened to taste, and thick, not runny before I add the top crust and bake.   

Trusted Contributor

I have never cooked the berries first nor have I ever seen anyone else do it.  If you're worried about a runny filling, check out King Arthur's website and get their Pie Enhancer or Instant Clear Jel (or both).  You won't regret the purchase

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@cancun08

Thank you. I love KA's Clear Jel. I use it for all my fruit pies and it makes a world of difference.  Someone on the boards tipped me off to it years ago, perhaps it was you, and I always have it on hand.

I've probably baked a dozen or so blueberry pies and have never cooked the berries first.  I'm hoping that someone who has done it both ways can explain what the difference was in the results.  Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If using ground tapioca as a thickener, I cook the berries.  If using Clear-Jel and Pie Thickener (my preference), I don't cook the filling.  

Trusted Contributor

I always use fresh in my pies.

Honored Contributor

I used fresh and I can't wait to slice into it tonight!

blueberry pie 2018.JPG

~ house cat ~