Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, good pure lard from free range pigs is better for your health than butter, margarine or crisco. 

It is making a come-back since the " bad for your heart" myths have been debunked.

I have many recipes that call for a handful of this and a coffee cup of that.  My family did not use too many written recipes, they were passed from mother to children by watching. 

The written ones for baked goods are vague.  Many were mixed on the table, not in a bowl. You had to have a feel for the dough..adding ingredients until it was the right consistency or tasted good.

I have seen the coffee can recipes, but my family nor I have never made any.  My mother never owned a cookbook.

But I bet she was a wonderful cook!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I looked them up.  Are they dry?  I think they would be good with some sort of icing..........what the heck...

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

My mom was the very low-fat cooking queen in the late 50's and 60's.  Fried food almost never, no grease kept or used.  She used corn and vegetable oil, and butter was used in cake frosting, but that's about it.  Not much cheese in cooking either, although a little cheese on a cracker was ok!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

My mom made her delicious homemade bread from the "feel" of the dough.  I wish I had her recipe or watched and learned.  Best homemade rolls made bread almost every Friday of the year.  The best.  Sometimes, especially in the winter, THAT may have been dinner.  A cup of soup and a couple homemade rolls.  She was a great cook, but the bread and her fudge was the best.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure why this was done but I observed it many times. When we'd get a side of beef, it was wrapped in white butcher's paper. For some reason, my great aunt would wipe the top of the wood stove with that paper. Maybe she was cleaning the stovetop with the waxy side of the paper.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Years ago, I remember a  a cake being cooked in a coffee can.  I don't recall ever tasting it.

Yes, @ECBG  My mother baked  Babka in a coffee can. It always came out great with a big fluff top.  Delicious.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Kachina624  I looked them up.  Are they dry?  I think they would be good with some sort of icing..........what the heck...

@tends2dogs  They're coated with a sugar/cinnamon mixture.  They're very rich, what I'd call "short" due to the lard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I'm sure I do.  I remember my Nana and her sister made Brown Bread that was baked in coffee cans.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

My MIL also had a recipe that was baked in a coffee can.  It was called Suet Pudding, but it was breadlike.  It was SO moist and she served it with a warm lemon glaze that she poured over it when she served it.  I wish I had both of those recipes. Woman Sad

Fun thread.  I hope more respond. Woman Very Happy

Takes me back to my childhood.  We called it Christmas pudding.  I think we only had it in December.  It was soft, moist but firm and my grandmother served it warm with a hard sauce or a run sauce.  

Respected Contributor

@On It    Yes,  I have a recipe for the best fudge I've ever had and the recipe calls for 3 small packages of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels.  I don't know the number of ounces in a small package.  This recipe is from the 1970's.  Would it be 6 oz for the small packages back then?

I've made the recipe before but again that was in the 1970's.