Respected Contributor

Any recipes for black eyed peas? I bought a can last year and they were so nasty that I tossed them. Are frozen or dried any better? Being superstitious I feel like I need to eat some on New Years Day.

Honored Contributor

IMO theyre all bad and I never found anything that made them edible.  I never eat them and have done okay with luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black eyed peas recipes

[ Edited ]

canned , drain and rinse   then  add  fresh or dried sage and  McCormick's  montreal seasoning salt ( contains onions, garlic, black pepper )  add  some  ham if you like .

Honored Contributor

You can make hoppin'John with them; DH hates black-eyed peas and refused to eat any last year...so I told him that 2020 is on him now! I am sure he will have some this time. I usually buy Trappey's brand with slab bacon in them...sometimes I will add some rice and onions and serve with cornbread, cabbage, and pork chops. 

Valued Contributor

@50Mickey  How about this version?B2D72FF7-A0BF-452A-BA60-B622BCFE992C.jpeg

Black-Eyed Pea Casserole

1 lb of pork breakfast sausage

1/2 cup of onions, chopped

1/2 cup of green peppers, chopped

1 can of Rotels diced tomatoes and green chilies

2 cans of black-eyed peas

1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning

1/2 teaspoon of oregano

1 can of cream of chicken soup

1 cup of raw rice, cooked (which will make 2 cups of cooked rice)

1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350. Brown sausage, onions and peppers until sausage is no longer pink. Add can of Rotels, cajun seasoning and oregano and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Next add the 2 cans of black-eyed peas, cooked rice and cream of chicken soup to meat mixture. Put entire mixture in 2 quart casserole dish. Top with one cup of cheddar cheese. Cook in preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Never ate them until I met my husband. His family had them every new years. So I started making them because I love them.  Here's my recipe...typical southern recipe:

1 bag of dried black eyed peas

20 oz chicken stock or broth

1 ham hock

one chopped onion

pepper to taste

salt to taste

soak your beans overnight, pour off the soak water and give beans a quick rinse. Put beans, ham hock, onion, chicken stock, salt and pepper and enough water to be about an inch above the ingredients. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5 or six. For you newbies, just let them go. They will soften up. I usually cook them on high. Some folks like them soupy but I like them just a tad thicker so I add cornstarch mixed with some of the broth in a separate bowl n keep doing that until I get consistency I want. Take out ham hock and peel off meat and add back to pot.  I make homemade flour biscuits and omg, we are in heaven. Enjoy and happy happy 2021!

Honored Contributor

My friend's recipe for Hoppin' John:

3 slices bacon, chopped

1/2 pound ham, cut into 1" cubes

1 onion, chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

1/4 tsp dried thyme

2 cups chicken broth

16-oz bag frozen black-eyed peas

1 bay leaf

3/4 cup long-grain rice, rinsed under running water

2 scallions, sliced thin

Cook bacon in large saucepan until crisp.  Save bacon for later.  Pour off all but 1 tbsp bacon grease and brown ham in pan.  Save with bacon for later.

Cook onion and celery in fat in pan until soft.  Stir in garlic and thyme.  Stir in broth, peas, bay leaf, and reserved ham and bring to boil.  Cover and simmer over low heat until beans are tender.  Remove ham and cut into 1/2 " pieces.  Save ham for later.  

Stir rice into pot, cover, and simmer until rice is tender.  Let stand off heat and covered for 10 minutes.  Stir in scallions, bacon and ham.            

Honored Contributor

@Reconnaissant. This recipe sounds good.  There's enough strong flavoring in it to kill the taste and texture of anything nasty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for the recipies. I will try again this year. Now remember you have to eat collards for money. That I can handle.

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey I do not eat black eyed peas and yes, I am from Mississippi.  My mother always said they looked nasty after being cooked as if there were little black bugs in the pot.  HA  My mother turned me against them too!!!! Check out Taste of Home