Honored Contributor

Re: Black eyed peas recipes

[ Edited ]

@Reconnaissant   Oh YUM!!!   

Nasty black eyed peas, really????

There's nothing wrong with these beans. So many things you can do with these - soups, stews, use these in your Mexican dishes, any and all of them. 

Love black eyed peas!!! Love these as much as we love to use navy beans, great northern, pinto, red beans, pink, white canellinis, refried, kidney beans. ALL BEANS, and yes, they're really good for us too.

Honored Contributor
My family prefers black eyed peas casserole, soup, or salad.

I make the salad with chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers, grated carrot, with a dressing of oil, vinegar, sugar and chopped garlic.
Trusted Contributor

I'm from Louisiana and I love blackeyes. We always have them for New Year's Day or eve. Cooking some today.  I do them in the pressure cooker for 15 min.  No soaking required.

Happy New Year to all. May it be a very blessed year for all. 

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey 

The canned ones tend to have a lot of sodium and be more mushy due to the canning process. The frozen atr better to me. There is an art to preparing them well because they should maintain their shape and be soft and smooth inside. Seasonings make a big difference in these. 

I usually make some hoppin john . The peas have a different cooking time from the rice since we have started putting the additives in.  I make a seperate pot of long grain rice, and black eyed peas. I serve the rice and top with the peas followed by the hoppin john sauce. You taste the individual ingredients better and it is a symphony to your taste buds.

I also make soup.

Throughout the year we eat black eyed peas and top them with either artichoke relish or salsa. 

The recipes here look tasty.

doxie

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, unless they are fresh , they aren't very good.  I grew up on fresh blackened peas cooked only with S&P and some chunks of salt pork.   They are soooo wonderful that way.

Then I moved where there were no fresh.  I tried canned, frozen and dried.  None even resembled the taste of real BEP.   Imagine my joy when I went to our local farmer's market this fall and found one stand with fresh.  Over the course of 3 weeks, I probably bought 6-7 pounds and put some in the freezer.  I had them tonight for good luck and will have the rest tomorrow.  And you do have to cook them low and slow.

Really, I wouldn't bother with them unless you can get fresh.  And if you can find with them 'snaps' which are little tiny ones, even better.  

Esteemed Contributor

went to the store today and could not find one can or uncooked black eye peas !  Guess,  alot of people decided to give it a try for some good luck in 2021 !!

Honored Contributor

Growing up in the south I had black eyed peas a lot, and ALWAYS on New Year's Day! I love them! Before children, if DH wasn't going to be home for dinner, I would heat up a can, drained, and put a little butter on them. Most of the time I ate the whole can! DH isn't that crazy about them, but he will eat some New Year's Day.

I always keep a can in the pantry, but couldn't find it this year. I sent DD on a mission a few weeks ago to find some. Our one store was completely out, but she found them at the other one we shop at.

We also make a New Year's Day soup mix, with a mix of beans, and including black eyed peas. We put the mix in quart jars with a recipe to add tomatoes, ham, and spices. We give these as gifts. This year I didn't have enough for us, so we will have it for Super Bowl Sunday- if they have the Super Bowl!  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal I agree, fresh is certainly the best. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@Bridgegal I agree, fresh is certainly the best. 

Even if you have to shell (shuck) them!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills 

Ha. Yes.  I spent hours shelling all of those black eyed peas and it was worth every minute.  😊