Honored Contributor

Re: Big food companies using substitute ingredients

Considering the price of cricket flour, definitely a specialty product, at about $40 for 1/2lb, I doubt we'll see it used commercially any time soon.  Certainly not a viable substitute for wheat flour.

Screenshot_20220914-142509_kindlephoto-1040763612.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Cricket flour is not new. We've also had threads about it in the past.
Honored Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@novamc1 

I have not read the article but they are already using cricket flour in certain foods.  You know, "good protein." 

5AAF870C-DB0D-44BE-9F4A-6145CD8E3974.png

Honored Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

I have not seen it on social media-not on it (except here)-- but what I saw was on "mainstream" meaning they are getting the public conditioned to seeing it as common. Nicole Kidman even did a PSA regarding eating bugs as meals.  

As long as I am alive I will NEVER consider this common.  I consider it disgusting.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Yikes...don't mind substitutions but crickets😳😳

I have the bug man here every quarter to spray all around my house and in garage to kill crickets, ants, spiders anything that walks low to the ground and could get inside omg I couldn't imagine ingesting bugs in any form.  Now, I know many many countries and cultures regularly consume as food, what we chemically exterminate and Anthony Bourdain educated me on the many ways to fry, stir, sauce and roast bugs or even to crunch on them while still wiggling.   Not this chick, scared to death of a cricket and it will drown in Raid if I see it.

Honored Contributor

@Forbidden Fruit 

If 'they' think that having an actress tell me to eat bugs is going to make me eat bugs, they are very wrong.

Honored Contributor

I know that eating bugs is quite common in many parts of the world, but it won't be happening in my kitchen in my lifetime if I can help it.

As @Kachina624  and a couple of others mentioned, food companies are always looking for ways to cut costs. I can't see them adding such an expensive ingredient unless it's a specialty product of some kind.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@cookie16 @It's a flour made from ground up crickets.