Frequent Contributor

I know this is crazy, but if you have old Betty Crocker cookbooks could you please check the index to see whether there  is a recipe for chicken marengo.  I recall it may be in Betty Crocker's New Good and Easy Cookbook but it may have appeared in subsequent versions.  I donated my copy a few years ago and made this dish often in the past and now I am hoping to make it again.  There are lots of used copies of BC cookbooks out there so I am hoping to confirm which one it is in.  I searched the internet extensively including Amazon where not  all the older editions  have the "look inside" feature.

I know this is silly -- there are lots of chicken marengo recipes on the web that are probably even better!

TIA

Valued Contributor

Re: Betty Crocker Cookbook ?

I have "Betty's Crocker's Cokbook" and it does not have that recipe. I can't find a date inside the book but I got married in 1970 so it's at least that old.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

@maisiebrook  I don't have the cookbook; however, on the Betty Crocker site there is a recipe for Chicken Penne a la Marengo.  I hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

@maisiebrook 

I searched and didn’t find the recipe.

I saw a listing for Betty Crocker Big Book Of Chicken and the recipe was listed on page 38. Unfortunately, you had to buy the book. 

Valued Contributor

There is a recipe on Betty Crocker dot com.

Chicken Penne á la Marengo

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@azgal wrote:

There is a recipe on Betty Crocker dot com.

Chicken Penne á la Marengo

@maisiebrook 

Recipe is here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Put this together so you have a link.

Betty Crocker Vintage Recipies

https://

vintage.recipes/Cookbook/New-                                     Good-and-Easy-Cookbook

Be sure to tell us if you find what you're looking for!  ☺

Frequent Contributor

Thanks! Everyone 

I am going to try and borrow the Betty Crocker Chicken cookbook from the library.

That vintage recipe website is worth knowing about.

When I track down the recipe, I will post it.  I recall it called for chicken parts vs. pieces, though the chicken penne one sounds good.

Honored Contributor

@maisiebrook  Is this it?

CHICKEN MARENGO SERVES 4
PREPARATION TIME ABOUT 30 MINUTES, COOKING TIME ADDITIONAL 25 TO 30 MINUTES.
INGREDIENTS

8-9  pieces of bone in chicken – I prefer legs and thighs

1 good size onion diced or sliced thinly

2 garlic cloves, diced

2 red, yellow, green or orange sweet peppers – or about 12 mini peppers, diced or thinly sliced

2 medium tomatoes, cut up or about 2 cups mini tomatoes sliced into small pieces

3 Tbs tomato paste

1 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup sliced, pitted black or green olives

fresh herbs, chopped for garnish (I used lovage, oregano and chives – but parsley, tarragon and basil would also be delicious)

coating for chicken:

1/2 cup flour

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp paprika

approximately 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil to brown the chicken, additional for sauteeing vegetables

brown butter bread crumb noodles to serve

Frequent Contributor

@butterfly123

Thanks, this is close, but not the one.