Frequent Contributor

Best chocolate to make candies

I use to make candies years ago and went to a little shop near me for chocolate.  Unfortunately, Covid put them out of business.  For those who make candy what chocolate do you recommend.  I thinking about making some again this year.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best chocolate to make candies

Subscribing!

I've got cashews to use up. Was thinking of chocolatey/carmel/cashew candy somethings!

I've tried to hack WS white chocolate/peppermint bark using Ghiardelli white chocolate. Got tired of the price at WS.

Frequent Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

What is WS?  

I cannot eat nuts but anything caramel and or vanilla works for me.  I was thinking of peppermint bark but I need to find a really good quality chocolate.  

Respected Contributor

There are so many preminum brand chocolates today. I suggest you Google and see what meets your needs.

Super Contributor

I use chocolate almond bark from Aldi for making candies. It's just the chocolate used to make almond bark; there are no almonds in it when you buy it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use the white  and dark chocolate ghiradeli melting wafers, usually order them from Sams.  For fudge, I just use regular nestle chocolate chips though.

Frequent Contributor

@happycat 

I didn't even know they made melting wafers until I was googling chocolates.  I may give those a try.  I love their caramel sea salt chocolates so I'm sure their melting wafers are pretty good.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@missmouse12   WS= Williams Sonoma

Everyone raves about their peppermint bark and while it's good, it's too pricey so I try to dupe it for 1/4th the cost.

Honored Contributor

I use Ghirardelli White Baking Chips that I buy at the local grocery store.

Esteemed Contributor

@missmouse12 wrote:

@happycat 

I didn't even know they made melting wafers until I was googling chocolates.  I may give those a try.  I love their caramel sea salt chocolates so I'm sure their melting wafers are pretty good.  

@missmouse12, well shucks, I didn't know they made caramel sea salt chocolates, that sounds so good! Its been so long since I've been inside an actual store, I don't even know what they have anymore.