Honored Contributor

Best New Cookbooks - #1: Modern Comfort Food: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

[ Edited ]

Per an article from San Jose Mercury News - they reviewed the new cookbooks and picked their top 5.

I will look for sample recipes.

9780804187060.jpg

A collection of all-new soul-satisfying dishes from America's favorite home cook!

In Modern Comfort Food, Ina Garten shares 85 new recipes that will feed your deepest cravings. Many of these dishes are inspired by childhood favorites—but with the volume turned way up, such as Cheddar and Chutney Grilled Cheese sandwiches (the perfect match for Ina's Creamy Tomato Bisque), Smashed Hamburgers with Caramelized Onions, and the crispiest hash browns that are actually made in a waffle iron!

There are few things more comforting than gathering for a meal with the ones you love, especially when dishes like Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas are at the center of the table. Old-fashioned crowd pleasers like Roasted Sausages, Peppers, and Onions are even more delicious and streamlined for quick cleanup. For dessert? You'll find the best Boston Cream Pie, Banana Rum Trifle, and Black and White Cookies you'll ever make. Home cooks can always count on Ina's dependable, easy-to-follow instructions, with lots of side notes for cooking and entertaining—it's like having Ina right there beside you, helping you all the way.

From cocktails to dessert, from special weekend breakfasts to quick weeknight dinners, you'll find yourself making these cozy and delicious recipes over and over again.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Best New Cookbooks - #1: Modern Comfort Food: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

I love Ina's recipes, we do differ on cilantro,I love it .😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not cheap on Amazon, my usual source for books duing this pandemic..  I'll wait for an Ebay copy or the library.  I love her recipes. 

Please note:  The "cheap" copy on Ebay is electronic, not a hardcover.  I only made that mistake once and learned to check the listings carefully. 

Honored Contributor

Hot Spiced Apple Cider 

IMG_0336.jpg

• 4 cups fresh apple cider
  • 4 whole black peppercorns
  • 6 or 7 (2 to 3-inch) cinnamon sticks
  • 3 whole dried cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 navel orange
  • Good bourbon, such as Maker’s Mark (optional)
  • 1 crisp red apple

Place the apple cider, peppercorns, one of the cinnamon sticks, the cloves, and the star anise in a medium saucepan. Cut a large (1 × 4-inch) peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler and add it to the pan. Bring the cider mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain into a 4-cup glass measuring cup and discard the solids.

Pour the hot cider into mugs or heatproof glasses. Add 2 tablespoons bourbon, if using, to each mug. Cut the orange in half through the stem, slice crosswise in ¼-inch-thick half-rounds, and add one slice to each mug. Cut the apple in half through the stem, remove the core, slice crosswise in ¼-inch-thick half-rounds, and add one slice to each glass. Serve hot with a cinnamon stick in each glass for stirring

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

I love her and all her recipes🙂

I just made her lemon coconut cake 🍋🍋and a tray of her roasted eggplant parm recipe for her bday.  Both are a favorite!!!

I'm going to send this new cookbook to my niece for her bday this week -- she has been making recipes and enjoying her cookbooks. Thank you for posting info.

Honored Contributor

The cookbook is now available at Q. $23.50 + 5.50 s/h -  Ina will be on Q ITKWD to promote it. 

F14315
Modern Comfort Food By Ina Garten

Honored Contributor

A couple of recipes ftom the cookbook are posted on the Q product page. Maybe something that will be demonstrated on the show?

Honored Contributor

My cookbook club is not meeting right now obviously. But if we were this would be our October book. So a lot of us pre-ordered it! I'm looking forward to trying her new recipes!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Another recipe posted on Q is the 1st recipe Ina released from the book - months ago.

There is a separate thread with the recipe

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Recipes/Ina-Garten-Emily-s-English-Roasted-Potatoes/m-p/6229271#M134681

Frequent Contributor

The cookbook is $21.51 on amazon and save S&H if you are a prime member. I just bought it to add to my Ina collection. Love her recipes!