Respected Contributor

I just read a post about why to use eggs in Mac and Cheese and it reminded me of the different ways people make banana pudding. I grew up eating the classic banana pudding where you make the custard, whip the egg whites and then top it with a meringue. I tried different versions of making it and one day came across this recipe. This is absolutely the best banana pudding I've ever had! Sometimes, I have a taste for the Classic one but most of the time I make this. Magnolia bakery's Banana pudding. It's delicious! 😘🍌

Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding - The Girl Who Ate Everything
https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/magnolia-bakerys-famous-banana-pudding/

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Best Banana pudding...Ever!

@Starpolisher  - this looks SCRUMPTIOUS Heart

YIELD: 15 SERVINGS

MAGNOLIA BAKERY'S FAMOUS BANANA PUDDING RECIPE

Screenshot_2021-04-02-16-59-15.png

Magnolia Bakery's Famous Banana Pudding - THE recipe from their cookbook. It's heaven. the-girl-who-ate-everything.com

This Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe has layers of creamy pudding, bananas, and Nilla wafers. It's heaven and way easier than you think!  This is the ACTUAL banana pudding recipe from their cookbook.

PREP TIME15 minutes
CHILLING7 hours
TOTAL TIME7 hours15 minutes

INGREDIENTS  
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups ice cold water
  • 1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 4 cups sliced barely ripe bananas, (see note)
  • 1 (12 oz.) box Nilla Wafers

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a large bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined - about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well - about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set. It will be watery if you don't let it set up long enough.
  2. In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding mixture until no streaks of pudding remain.
  3. Dessert can either be made in individual portions or in a large glass bowl with 4-5 quart capacity (a 9x13 baking dish also works).
  4. To assemble dessert, arrange 1/3 of the Nilla wafers covering the bottom, overlapping if necessary. Next, layer 1/3 of the bananas, and 1/3 of the pudding mixture. Repeat twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer. Cover tightly and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours - or up to 8 hours, no longer (because bananas will start to brown - see Notes for tips on preventing browning).

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@StarpolisherI just had to peek in and read this thread, because banana pudding is one of my favorite summer desserts!😋 This one is similar to one I make from an old Paula Deen recipe; except Chessman cookies are used in lieu of the Nilla wafers, so I am certain this one is DE-LI-CIOUS!😊

I absolutely LOVE your positive tagline! Have a great evening!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I just read a post about why to use eggs in Mac and Cheese and it reminded me of the different ways people make banana pudding. I grew up eating the classic banana pudding where you make the custard, whip the egg whites and then top it with a meringue. I tried different versions of making it and one day came across this recipe. This is absolutely the best banana pudding I've ever had! Sometimes, I have a taste for the Classic one but most of the time I make this. Magnolia bakery's Banana pudding. It's delicious! 😘🍌

Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding - The Girl Who Ate Everything
https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/magnolia-bakerys-famous-banana-pudding/

@Starpolisher 

I have gotten lots of good recipes from her blog.  I actually made this once and I doubled it for a family get-together and I used one package of vanilla and one of banana pudding (because that was what I had in the pantry) and it was an overwhelming success and it was all eaten up.  Yes, I always made the classic but this is pretty much like it in taste.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher 

About eggs in the mac 'n cheese.  A friend made that for me (Dear, dear, I hope she does not read here and if she does, does not know my moniker).  It was the worst mac 'n cheese I have ever eaten.  Maybe not everyone has her recipe and I hope not.  She is not a very good cook, at best but she is so kind to bring food to me and I usually say how much we enjoyed it.  She is a very good person and sometimes it is just hard to lie but even harder to tell the truth.

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@StarpolisherI just had to peek in and read this thread, because banana pudding is one of my favorite summer desserts!😋 This one is similar to one I make from an old Paula Deen recipe; except Chessman cookies are used in lieu of the Nilla wafers, so I am certain this one is DE-LI-CIOUS!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Excellent idea using Chessman cookies.  I bet they hold up better than the wafers.

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl  Thank you for posting the recipe! (Is that a sceenshot?)

@SandySparkles  Thank you about my tag line!

@Nonametoday Hope you read the Mac and Cheese post. I explained what I know about eggs in Mac and Cheese!

Thanks everyone! 😋😄🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

This thread is quite interesting, since I've been making banana pudding like this for decades. Magnolia's recipe? 🤷‍♀️ I don't remember where I got the recipe, but it is safe to say that the Magnolia Bakery did not create it. I will agree that it is the best banana pudding ever!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Excellent idea using Chessman cookies.  I bet they hold up better than the wafers.

@rms1954 They make for a beautiful presentation, as they are layered in rows, and hold up well! I first saw Paula make it on her FoodNetwork show at the time and ran to get the recipe.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher 

Thanks, Star Polisher.  I understand why that might be good for a casserole type recipe.  I think I like it the creamy way although I am not a big fan of mac 'n cheese period.  My DH and children love mac 'n cheese so I make it from time to time for them and also the grandchildren seem to have been born with the similar taste to their grandpop and parents.