Honored Contributor

I love baked potatoes!

If we go out and they are on the menu I will always ask if they are wrapped in foil.  If they tell me they are, I will tell them to keep them and ask for something else.  I don't like foil wrapped potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  I read that article too. I thought it was interesting, but they didn't say what kind of potato they used. They called them "jacket potatoes." I was readig it at work at lunch so I didn't get all the info. If you still have the link, please post, because I can't find it. I'm not sure they are worth keeping my oven on for another hour. We usually take Idaho potatoes, poke them with a fork, rub them with a light coating of olive oil and sprinkle with a fair amount of kosher salt. Then we bake them for the standard hour. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  they didn't say what type of spuds. Just something like the Idaho ( russet)would be best ,I think

Trusted Contributor

i like to take a baking pan. fill it withkosher salt.  then poke holes in the potoatoes .  bake at 370 for 1 hr and 10 min while covered with foil remove foil and bake  for 10 more minutes .

Trusted Contributor

that is 370 not 370

Trusted Contributor

did it again.  that is 375 not 370

Valued Contributor

@cherry 

I want to thank you for sharing the tip on how to bake the perfect baked potato.

I followed your instructions (my baking time was 1 hour 45 minutes) and it came out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  Perfect!

The only change I made was to rub the skin with a tiny bit of butter before putting it in the oven.

My baked potato never tasted so good!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@rrpell  my mother used to do that too

Respected Contributor

If grilling this is what I do. Start them in the microwave, 2 mins for each of the potatoes. Wrap with foil after putting olive oil and sea salt on each. Put grill on high, and turn potatoes after 15 mins for an additional 15 mins. Skins are crisp and charred, lots of flavor.

Respected Contributor