Honored Contributor

I'll try this next time I make them.  We eat baked potatoes rarely but we did this weekend.  I wanted them to be perfect so I actually Googled how to bake the perfect potato.  Per Martha Stewart - when they are done, take them out of the oven with a clean kitchen towel and proceed to BANG! it on the kitchen counter - it is supposed to make the insides fluffy.  It worked!

https://www.marthastewart.com/1525702/foolproof-baked-potato-method

Regular Contributor

Yes, Martha Stewart's method is to smash the baked potatoe after it has baked to get a fuffy interior.

America's Test Kitchen has an 'involved' method, as yours is, to making "the best" baked potatoe. 

I've tried Martha's method & it works. Also tried ATK. It does produce a great baked potatoe, but way tooooo involved. Baked potatoes are supposed to be easy. Not complicated.

Honored Contributor

I don't think cutting a cross in a potato is involved...

Regular Contributor

cherry:

"I don't think cutting a cross in a potato is involved..."

Yes, that's the first step. 3 steps is too fussy for a baked potatoe. Martha's techniques is quick, easy & it works. I suggest you try it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Baked Potatoes

[ Edited ]

N0 3 steps is not too involved for me . One step is to bake them..the last step is to deepen the cross and bake them 10 more minutes

Regular Contributor

Well, I guess I got exhausted reading all 3 stepsSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I like to cook ,and this is a very easy recipe

Honored Contributor

I make them in the microwave not as good as the oven method but still good.

Honored Contributor

I am not a big potato fan but I do like them overbaked!  And that's no big deal.  Just bake them until the outside is crispy.  Then the outside is wonderful and the inside is ok.

I hate soggy steamed "baked" potatoes.  Poke some holes, throw the in the oven and turn on the heat! 

Regular Contributor

I had read to put a nail, or a metal skewer through the potato lengthwise, this helps them cook quicker. I tried it and they did seem to bake a little faster. HTH