Valued Contributor
Beef and noodles
I was wondering if y’all remember beef and noodles when your parents made it ?
All I remember is a big can of beef and my mother putting noodles in it on the stove and that’s all I remember anyone have a recipe?
Thank you
😘
Respected Contributor

Re: Beef and noodles

[ Edited ]

Not at all familiar with the recipe you're describing, but DH & I enjoy an easy slow cooker beef stroganoff from allrecipes.com that is highly rated:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16352/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff-i/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&r...

Denise
Honored Contributor

My mother used to make it but ,she never had a recipe. She boiled  a tender cut of beef, like a roast cut into cubes, in beef stock, She simmered it until it was tender, then she thickened the      broth and added cooked noodles

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was raised on them as was my mother and father.  I either pressure cook a beef chuck roast or bake one in the oven. For many years I made and rolled out  my own noodles but now I buy them in the grocery store.  When the roast is done I add a little water to broth from my beef roast and cook noodles till done. There is a knack to how much water to add to broth. Too much and you water them down till they are tasteless. Add a little as you go. It's really something you have to experiment with. You  also have to judge how much of the beef you want to add to your noodles.  I break up the roast but rarely do I add all the meat.  I would say (depending on the size of the roast) 1/2 to 2/3 of the roast.

When I need a meal in a hurry, I buy a can of Amish beef chunks and a container of beef broth (Swanson's 32 oz. 100% natural) from the grocery.  Again...you have to experiment with how much broth to add.

Honored Contributor

We made a thick beef stew sometimes that was served over biscuits.  We never had canned beef and we never had it with noodles either.  

Matter of fact the only thing we ever used noodles for was chicken soup.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  noodles with pot roast is very German

Honored Contributor

@denisemb  I make that recipe with my own tweaks:

2 lbs chuck stew meat cut into 1" cubes

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 cups beef stock

1 tbsp ketchup

1/3 cup flour

Stir meat, salt, pepper, and onion powder together in slow cooker.  Stir together garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 cup beef broth, and ketchup in bowl, then pour over meat.  Cover and cook on high until meat is tender, 4-5 hours.

1/2 hour before serving, whisk flour and 1/2 cup broth in bowl until thickened.  Quickly whisk mixture into slow cooker, making sure there are no lumps of flour.  Cook on high for 30 more minutes to thicken.  Serve over cooked egg noodles.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Sooner  noodles with pot roast is very German

@cherry LOL!!!  No German ancestors I know of, but one old Austrian--maybe he didn't cook or didn't have enough influence on the cooks!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter, your recipe sounds so good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

@deepwaterdotter, your recipe sounds so good.

Her recipes always sound good😋