Honored Contributor

Beef Lombardi Casserole

[ Edited ]

I've been invited to a painting party later today - DH will be staying home.  I browsed Pinterest for a recipe he could pop into the oven come dinner time.  I found this one and prepared it this morning.  I'll post a review after we eat it later, but it smelled yummy and was a little different, so I thought I'd share it ahead of time.

Beef Lombardi Casserole-3.jpg

Beef Lombardi Casserole

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
  • 1 (6-oz) package medium egg noodles
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until no longer pink. Drain.
  3. Stir in diced tomatoes with juice, diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and tomato paste.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain.
  6. Stir together cooked egg noodles, and sour cream.
  7. Spread noodles in bottom of prepared pan. Top with meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
  8. Cover and bake 35 minutes. Uncover and bake and additional 5 minutes.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Yum, I wish I was eating at your house!

Trusted Contributor

Wow, that looks delicious!  Just as I was trying to come up with an idea for dinner!

Honored Contributor

I like those kind of dishes, I will no doubt try that, thanks for posting it.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband would eat this by the 2-cup serving, for sure!  For me, it's a cholesterol bomb, so I'd be eating something else.  Will cut and paste, as it sounds like a good one for a group buffet.

Honored Contributor

It sounds delicious!  Reminds me of beef goulash.

Honored Contributor

Sounds really good but I'd make it with ground Italian sausage instead of ground beef.  It's very lean and adds a little umph to a lot of recipes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Okay, here's my review.

As @sfnative  mentioned, it is not a low-fat, low-cholesterol casserole. My DH is in an unusual situation in that he needs to gain weight, so I was pleased that he liked it and ate a reasonable serving.  I enjoyed it, as well, but next time I would leave out the Rotel tomatoes and use plain ones. I'm not a fan of that particular flavor, but that's just me. It was very good and I'm sure it would be a hit at a potluck gathering.

~ house cat ~