Esteemed Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made beef jerky in the smoker. While looking at furniture, in another town, a man who knew the manager come in selling this jerky. He gave my husband a sample, offered me one and I very foolishly told him "I don't like beef jerky, but thanks anyway." WELL, the reason I didn't like it, is because I'd never had his. My husband bought a bag and I ended up trying it. It was SO good.

It did have a smokiness to it, we have a masterbuilt and I'm just wondering if any of you have a recipe.

TIA

Honored Contributor

We always make beef jerky in the dehydrator. Have not done this in a while. Here is the recipe we use.

Beef Jerky

5 lbs meat cut into 1/8” thick pieces

1 c soy sauce

½ c Worcestershire sauce

¼ c liquid smoke

¼ c Crown Royal

pepper

Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hrs. or overnight

Spread on trays in dehydrator for 12 hrs

Rotate trays & dehydrate for 12 more hrs

Cool to room temp & store in ziplock bags

I found this jerky recipe on the Masterbuilt site.

Beef Jerky

2 pounds sirloin, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices

4 tablespoons ground black pepper

1 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 dash hot pepper sauce

1 dash worcestershire sauce

In a large, combine the ground black pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, hot pepper sauce and worcestershire sauce. Mix well and add the meat slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Prepare the smoker for low heat and lightly oil the cooking grate.

Lay meat strips out on cooking grates so they do not overlap. Smoke over low heat. Jerky will be done when the edges appear dry with just a slight hint of moisture in the center of the slices. Smoke for approximately 6 to 8 hours.

https://recipes.masterbuilt.com/recipe/beef-jerky/

Respected Contributor

Nightowlz...

Thanks for the recipes.  

My husband loves Beef Jerky...Do you think one could possibly make it in a regular over?

Say if you baked it on 275* for several hours?  Slow baked it?  I wonder has anyone ever tried this?  

I gave by dehydrator away years ago and I do regret it.

Anyway Nightowlz, thanks for the recipes.

Respected Contributor

I use an 6 pound eye of round roast, sliced thin against the grain. Marinated in soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder to taste. I let it set overnight in the refrigerator. I have a 3 tier Jerky Tray I ordered from Cabela's. I loaded it up, put in the oven at 170* for 4 or 5 hours. I rotated the racks of jerky every now and then. It was really good. Stored it in an Lock n Lock container in the refrigerator. 

Honored Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Nightowlz...

Thanks for the recipes.  

My husband loves Beef Jerky...Do you think one could possibly make it in a regular over?

Say if you baked it on 275* for several hours?  Slow baked it?  I wonder has anyone ever tried this?  

I gave by dehydrator away years ago and I do regret it.

Anyway Nightowlz, thanks for the recipes.

@Bellabutterfly I have never done it in the oven but know you can do it that way. I looked online for oven temps & it looks like 165° to 180°. I read no less than 165° to kill bacteria. I also read where it says you should cook your meat to 160° before putting in the oven or dehydrator. We have never done this. Never heard of that until I just read it. Don't forget to line your oven with foil if you do it so you don't end of with a mess from the drips.

Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc wrote:

I use an 6 pound eye of round roast, sliced thin against the grain. Marinated in soy sauce, brown sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder, black pepper, and onion powder to taste. I let it set overnight in the refrigerator. I have a 3 tier Jerky Tray I ordered from Cabela's. I loaded it up, put in the oven at 170* for 4 or 5 hours. I rotated the racks of jerky every now and then. It was really good. Stored it in an Lock n Lock container in the refrigerator. 

@Barbarainnc Thx for sharing your recipe. It sounds yummy. I will give it to DH so we can try it when they have round eye roast on sale. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nightowlz and Barbarainnc, that you both for the recipes. I didn't know Cabela's made a 3 tier jerky tray. That is something I may need to check out.