Contributor

I just had to share this recipe as it is the easiest and yummiest dessert combination I've ever tried. Made with vegan ice cream, this Banana Coconut Sundae from Paleontastic is dairy and gluten free, and sweetened with agave. Finally a dessert with no guilt trip to follow!

paleo dessert

Honored Contributor

Looks delicious {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

We were eating vegan for a few years. One of my indulgences was the vegan ice cream sandwiches I'd buy at Whole Foods. They were great, but very small.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

The brand of ice cream in this recipe also can be bought in Whole Foods, but I didn't see the sandwiches there. I am not vegan per ce but try to avoid dairy if possible, so I found this was a restaurant quality dessert that satisfied my cravings with minimal damage Smiley Wink So you aren't vegan anymore?

Honored Contributor
On 7/11/2014 svli_2000 said:

The brand of ice cream in this recipe also can be bought in Whole Foods, but I didn't see the sandwiches there. I am not vegan per ce but try to avoid dairy if possible, so I found this was a restaurant quality dessert that satisfied my cravings with minimal damage Smiley Wink So you aren't vegan anymore?

No. DH and I became vegetarian when my younger son, who was about 13 at the time, wanted to try it. He then went on to be a strict vegan, still is, and it was a natural evolution for my husband and I to eat and cook that way since he'd visit often and it was easier to keep a vegan household. Last year we moved my mom and dad here to live near us and Dad said the food I was feeding him was giving him hemorrhoids, lol! Since I have to cook for them and for us, I started adding more meat into our meals and it was a slippery slope from there. I'm hoping that once I no longer have to consider my mom and dad's preferences I can go back to a veggie diet. A strict vegan diet, if done right, can be very healthy, but it's also very time consuming.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

Yes, I find it too, our food preferences often get affected by those around us. Its hard to manage sometimes and impossible to please everyone. Personally I dont think I could ever give up meat (I'm on paleo diet). And vegan cuisine seems to be very time consuming indeed, especially if you want it to taste good. Good luck finding the right balance for you and your family!